PDA

View Full Version : a basic question on A95, maybe 80, 70 too

weining
10-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi,
I am keen to make my purchse of A95. But from the reviews I read so far, its video recording time is rather limited. The same may go with other A serie models.
As I am new to digital cameras, my question may be too dumb: If you are allowed to make video recording for only a very short period, can you just stop recording (or the camera stops by itself) after you have done a few minutes and wait for another short time, and start recording again?
Put my question in another way: Can you make video recording in batchs or sections rather than a long and continious piece? as long as the CF card has enough room?
Your answers will be appreciated

Regards,
Weining

D70FAN
10-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi,
I am keen to make my purchse of A95. But from the reviews I read so far, its video recording time is rather limited. The same may go with other A serie models.
As I am new to digital cameras, my question may be too dumb: If you are allowed to make video recording for only a very short period, can you just stop recording (or the camera stops by itself) after you have done a few minutes and wait for another short time, and start recording again?
Put my question in another way: Can you make video recording in batchs or sections rather than a long and continious piece? as long as the CF card has enough room?
Your answers will be appreciated

Regards,
Weining

Yes. You can take a full clip, allow it to save completely and then take another clip. Sorry, I'm not sure of the delay (if any) between video clips, but it shouldn't be very long. This is something I've been meaning to try.

weining
10-29-2004, 09:03 AM
many thanks! your reply is quite helpful

Robert
10-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Not to to rain on your parade but video recording with a digital still camera is marginal at best. If you're really interested in decent video you would be far better off with even the lowest price HI 8 video camcorder. Canon's model ES60 which goes for about $200 or less is a great buy. As far as a digital still camera is concerned you're certainly on the right track, you can't go wrong with the A95, A85 or even the A75. I have the A75 and the ES60 and couldn't be more pleased with them.

weining
10-29-2004, 11:12 AM
thanks for your advice.
I'm not into video, digital or not digital.
I just thougt it would be nice to be able to do it during unexpected situations.

Actually CF card is one of the biggest factors for me to go for A95. I could have chosen Fuji E550 for better lens, but it's with XD...

D70FAN
10-29-2004, 11:46 AM
thanks for your advice.
I'm not into video, digital or not digital.
I just thougt it would be nice to be able to do it during unexpected situations.

Actually CF card is one of the biggest factors for me to go for A95. I could have chosen Fuji E550 for better lens, but it's with XD...

Just out of curiousity... What makes the E550 lens better?

weining
10-29-2004, 04:17 PM
"better": I did not mean quality which I know very little. I think it's wider and longer than A95: 4x 32.5-130mm.
Another advantage is the dynamic range derived from its superCCD.

If they are priced similarly, I'll go get a E550.

D70FAN
10-29-2004, 04:56 PM
"better": I did not mean quality which I know very little. I think it's wider and longer than A95: 4x 32.5-130mm.
Another advantage is the dynamic range derived from its superCCD.

If they are priced similarly, I'll go get a E550.

Ah! I can see that. Good point. Although the difference is only 2.5mm on the wide angle end, the extra 25mm on the tele end is useful.

I wouldn't bet that the dynamic range of the consumer version of the SCCD is that much greater than standard. On the Fuji S3? Definately. On the E550? Marginal at best.