PDA

View Full Version : Portable harddisk for digital camera vs flash card

cheemoon
10-28-2004, 08:39 AM
I am at the cross road - to buy more SD cards or to get a portable harddisk that can easily support 8 major flash memorys - SD, MMC, xD, MS/MS Pro, CFI/II, MD and SM.

Typically, this digital partner is fitted with 2.5" HD with capacity ranges from 20GB to 60GB. It also come with built-in rechargeable battery. One with 40GB capacity will cost around US$175. Size that of a PDA.

Advantages include unlimited storage capacity for digital photos, no concern when your next camera uses a different type of memory card, ..etc

Concerns I have are the reliability of such product when one carries it around on travel.

Appreciate if anyone can share his/her experiences with such product.

Thanks and Best Regards
cheemoon

lumixfan
10-28-2004, 08:46 AM
I dont have an answer to your question, but can you describe the product name/ website that carries it. I am myself interested in such a product over the long run.

cheemoon
10-28-2004, 09:26 AM
I dont have an answer to your question, but can you describe the product name/ website that carries it. I am myself interested in such a product over the long run.

Most of these products consist of two components - the 2.5" HD produced by many coys like Hitachi, Samsung, etc and the case that is used to house the HD. These cases are mostly from Taiwan and China, brands like "Noon" and "Nachus" which I can't trace the website. Others that I happen to know of are Nixvue (www.nixvue.com) and Eastgear PD6X & PD7X (www.eastgear.com).

As said, I have no practical experience with these produces.

Regards
cheemoon

akeke
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
I am at the cross road - to buy more SD cards or to get a portable harddisk that can easily support 8 major flash memorys - SD, MMC, xD, MS/MS Pro, CFI/II, MD and SM.

Typically, this digital partner is fitted with 2.5" HD with capacity ranges from 20GB to 60GB. It also come with built-in rechargeable battery. One with 40GB capacity will cost around US$175. Size that of a PDA.

Advantages include unlimited storage capacity for digital photos, no concern when your next camera uses a different type of memory card, ..etc

Concerns I have are the reliability of such product when one carries it around on travel.

Appreciate if anyone can share his/her experiences with such product.

Thanks and Best Regards
cheemoon

I bought a hard disk: X-Drive Pro 30 Gbyte and it works excellent. Going on our honey moon trip we spent whole days in the rain-forest filling up the memory card. Coming home to “base camp” we just emptied the memory card to the hard disk with 1 (!) press of a button. Next day we could use a "new" fresh empty card without being close to our home PC.

:-) Åke

PS. Trip to Borneo was suuuuper :- )