PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 350D, Keep Lens?

WebEyE
03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi!

I'm shooting with an EOS 500N for quite a while now.
Just an amatuer having fun with an SLR.
Now I wanna take my photography to another level and go digital with an upgrade to the 350.
Is it a good idea to keep my lens from the 500N (EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6) to save money and invest in a decent zoom or should I upgrade the lens as well.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

cdifoto
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
As far as I know, that lens is mediocre. It's a standard film "kit" lens. The XT/350D/20Ds offer the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 which should be pretty much the same quality. With limitations they can be good...but they aren't good performers when the situation gets tough.

My advice is to get the 18-55mm kit lens with the 350D so you have a cheap way to go wide, then add either the 50mm f/1.4 ($350) if budget allows or the 50mm f/1.8 ($80) if you're pressed for cash so you have something to play around with DOF and shoot in low light.

After you play with those you can find out where you want to go next lens-wise...or you may find yourself content if you're just a casual shooter.

coldrain
03-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Even though light is light, digital sensors are much more critical about lens quality than film is. The 28-80 kit lenses you get/got with film SLR bodies are quite bad on digital bodies.

I have the II version of that lens you have, and you really do not want to use it on your 350D. Just go for the 18-55 kit lens to replace it, it will do a much better job. And it will give the same zoom range you are used to with the 28-80 on your EOS 500N.

WebEyE
03-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Thanks for your input!

I kind of thought that it wouldn't be a good idea.
I just don't want my old equipement to get dusty and unused. The idea of reusing the lens just sounded to good.
But since you can't compare film to the digital sensors i kind of figured that there would be a catch.

timmciglobal
03-25-2006, 03:02 AM
You can always mount it and try :) Benefit of digital is no film cost and no wait to see..

Just don't skip the kit lens.It's cheap but cheap wide angels are good thing. If you don't want kid lens the new tamaron 17-70 would make a nice kit lens with the XT instead.

Tim

Rhys
03-25-2006, 07:31 AM
You can always mount it and try :) Benefit of digital is no film cost and no wait to see..

Just don't skip the kit lens.It's cheap but cheap wide angels are good thing. If you don't want kid lens the new tamaron 17-70 would make a nice kit lens with the XT instead.

Tim

I'd say stick with the 28-80 for the moment - as an economy measure. But get a wider lens for the D350 such as the Tokina 12-24. Don't get the kit lens. I have it and while I have had some good shots from it, those are few and far between.

If you can possibly stretch to a 20D then it's better than the 350D by quite a margin. I went for the lighter, smaller body and regret it now. Having said that, my XT produces quite nice pictures.