PDA

View Full Version : Hold Canon EF lenses for Digital SLR ?

Axxfischer
10-27-2004, 07:55 PM
I would like to switch to a Digital SLR - the only model within my budget range is the Digital Rebel. I own 4 Canon/Sigma EF lenses from my 35mm Elan that would fit the Digital Rebel mount (good) - only that the cropping factor of the Rebel's sensor messes up the focal ranges (bad).

Should I hold on to my lenses until an affordable Digital SRL with a full size sensor (35mm equivalent) hits the market OR should I sell the lenses NOW for little money before they lose even more value ?

Thanks for your wise words.

eagle17
10-28-2004, 08:45 PM
I use standard lenses with my canon Dslr with very good success. I would not worry too much about the cropping effect as there are a veriety of lenses that now offer focal lengths wide enough to give you good shots with the crop factored in.

suemccartin
11-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Any canon EF glass will work on your digital, the sigma lens(s) might be a crapshoot. As has been widely reported, sometimes the protocols in the body changes slightly and third party lenses no longer work and have to be sent back to the manufacturer to be "rechipped." From what I've read this can only be done once for whatever reason (or maybe that's all the manufacturer feels like bothering with).