PDA

View Full Version : tiff vs jpeg

tonya
10-26-2004, 11:43 PM
hi all,

brand new, 1st post here and looking to buy 1st dig cam so sorry if this is mundane or already covered.

i want to post product pics on my web site, but mostly want the cam because i deal w/ vendors that accept artwork in tif or jpeg files (in 300 dpi min)

are these formats available in most cams? or is this something that is handled on artwork / software programs that i can just convert to?

i am looking at canon a75 or comparable. thanks for info / suggestions.

tony@browndogpromos.com

John_Reed
10-27-2004, 08:02 AM
hi all,

brand new, 1st post here and looking to buy 1st dig cam so sorry if this is mundane or already covered.

i want to post product pics on my web site, but mostly want the cam because i deal w/ vendors that accept artwork in tif or jpeg files (in 300 dpi min)

are these formats available in most cams? or is this something that is handled on artwork / software programs that i can just convert to?

i am looking at canon a75 or comparable. thanks for info / suggestions.

tony@browndogpromos.comJPEG files are available from almost any digital camera you should choose. JPEG is a method of compressing image files so that they can be stored in a smaller space in your camera or on your computer. (And on your computer, the JPEG files will be "expanded" back to the original size for viewing or printing) It's a so-called "lossy" method, meaning that the compressed images supposedly lose something when compared to un-compressed images, but as long as you use the lowest compression level available (JPEG Fine), it would take a microscope to spot any differences. You mentioned TIFF files, which are "lossless," and "un-compressed," which makes them much bigger than JPEG files. Some cameras can make either of them for you. Not the Canon A75; it stores JPEG only. But I wouldn't view that as a drawback. For your purposes, the 300 dpi requirement from printers would limit the size you could send to printers from the A75 (2048X1536 images) to approximately 7X5 inches; if that's big enough, and the A75 meets your photographic needs otherwise, it's probably a good choice for you.
I hope that was helpful?

tonya
10-28-2004, 11:32 AM
thanks john,

very informative and yes the 5 x 7 will be more than large enough for 95 % of my applications.

i love when these message boards work (thanks to nice people like you).