PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 Battery

steelwinky
10-26-2004, 10:50 PM
I have not yet bought an fz20, but am trying to get things in order prior to ordering one. I have not had the opportunity to deal with the Panasonic battery that comes with the camera.

I realize that a "Panasonic" brand extra battery must cost 50-80 bucks. I don't know the model number of the factory battery.

I see a lot of batteries on ebay for this camera and they are mostly on the order of 15-20 dollars. The model # listed is DMW-BM7 CGA-S002A .

Has anyone used these aftermarket batteries or any other that is an aftermarket replacement?

Any input on this would be helpful before I waste my money on a battery that isn't any good.

Thanks

Jayde
10-27-2004, 12:45 AM
hiya
congrats on your choice ! :)
get one from battery barn here.. mine lasts longer than the pana batt.. in fact i need another spare, if you away a weekend without recharging have 3. hehe
FZ10/20 FAQ..
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/

also buy a 72mm UV filter to protect the lens, but if you gonna buy other addon lens soon / later get the pemeraal adaptor he has 2nds but they are perfect.. both are 62mm..

http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html

adaptor / lens info d/l zip.. :)
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314

good planning btw :D

Dave Dilks
10-27-2004, 06:53 AM
I bought a DMW-BM7 battery off eBay as a backup for my FZ3 and it has worked fine so far. The only problem I had was once when the charger light went out when the battery was only partially charged - but that may have been caused by me not properly seating the battery in the charger.

steelwinky
10-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I think that about answers any questions I have until I get the camera.

zookeeper
10-27-2004, 06:53 PM
I bought a second battery from the Battery Barn ( www.batterybarn.com ). Use the Pana # CGA-S002 when you order. This battery has a 800mHa rating vs. the 680 for the Pana battery and it's only $38 including shipping. Mine works fine........the Zookeeper

zookeeper
10-27-2004, 07:13 PM
I just told you about the battery source. I would like to also advise you about the SD memory card(s) you will want ( or have ) to buy. Make sure you get the high speed ( 32X or greater) (rated at 10 MB read/write). You will NOT be pleased with the cameras burst or continuous shooting with the standard (slow) speed cards. Yea, they're cheap, but you get what you pay for. I borrowed a large capacity generic no-name card and tested the continuous shoot mode and the camera slowed after 4-6 shots. With my Lexar 32X 256mb card, the FZ-20 shoots over 2 frames per sec as long as you hold your finger down and records the last frame almost instantly. The burst modes are as fast as the published info and records the images almost instantly. You gotta luv that Venus II multiprocessing feature. It's FAST. Also, I have a thoery that multiple 'small' cards are better than one great BIG one. If you're on vac or at that dreaded in-laws reunion, you don't want to have your memory card go sour on you and you lose ALL your pics. I'm going for 3-4 256mb cards instead of a 1gb. With several smaller cards, you have a backup system if you lose a card or it goes sour, AND you may have saved some of the pics of the family and kept the Mrs. happy. I got my Lexar cards fron Newegg on the internet...............The Zookeeper.

steelwinky
10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks to all who answered. Ordered the fz20 today and expect it by friday. I think I have all my bases covered and now I'm just waiting.

HawkeyeLonewolf
10-27-2004, 10:06 PM
also buy a 72mm UV filter to protect the lens, but if you gonna buy other addon lens soon / later get the pemeraal adaptor he has 2nds but they are perfect.. both are 62mm..

Thanks for the heads up on the seconds. I was waiting for the new ones, but just ordered the second in metal (black) for $10 less. Now to get my UV filter and be good to go!

With the adapter on and a Filter, how does the lens cap work?

zookeeper
10-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Once you use the lens adapter, Pana or aftermarket, you will need a cap that will click into whatever size UV filter you end up with. Caps can be had from local camera shops for $4-5 that will click into the ring of your filter. The original Pana cap will only work if you don't use adapter/filter. AND that's not good because you need adapter/filter installed to protect the lens and lens mechanics. You will luv that camera, I do. The Zookeeper