PDA

View Full Version : USB male?female conversion?

rkymtndream
10-26-2004, 08:24 PM
I have a USB thumb drive and would love to carry it with me at time to dump my images from my Canon Digital Rebel onto. Does anyone know if there is an adapter or male/female conversion to fit the camera to the thumb? Thanks, rkymtndream

Rhys
10-26-2004, 09:22 PM
I have a USB thumb drive and would love to carry it with me at time to dump my images from my Canon Digital Rebel onto. Does anyone know if there is an adapter or male/female conversion to fit the camera to the thumb? Thanks, rkymtndream

Can't be done. You need a computer to read the camera and then to save to the drive.

rkymtndream
10-26-2004, 09:42 PM
I was afraid you were going to say that, Thanks for the info! :(

timmciglobal
10-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Your best bet is just to buy more memory, it's cheap enough. Watch for sales on it, I picked up a 512 CF for 27$ after rebate.

Tim

1puterwiz
11-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Heres something i found today. It should work for you.
http://homepage.mac.com/techedgeezine/2004-0624_syncbox1.htm

suemccartin
11-10-2004, 07:46 AM
What you want is called a digital wallet.

If you go on ebay you'll find a bunch of them with varying capacities. It's basically a notebook harddrive in a case with a card reader and a battery. I've got the Archos multimedia jukebox 20 that plays mp3's, has a color screen and can display pictures (if they're in the right format and dpi), can play movies in mpeg4 format and can also be a portable hard drive. Mine with a 20 gig drive was like 300 bucks, you can get cheaper gadgets that do the same thing with less functions.

CF media is finally getting pretty cheap but you still couldn't buy the equivalent of 20 gig in cf cards for 300 bucks. Which ever digital wallet you get just be sure it's either usb 2 or firewire for transfers, the files are just too huge to transfer to your computer over usb1 (takes forever). You also want to be careful of anything with a proprietary battery, (like my Archos but I think their newer units have user replaceable batteries) and the ability to use an external power source is also something to look for (i.e 12v car cord or ac power supply).