PDA

View Full Version : Processing (RAW) .ORF files on PC

haidergill
03-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi,

I am outputting (raw) .orf files from my Olympus C-70 (C-7000 Euro/Apac). I imported them into Photoshop 7.0.1 using the orf plugin from Olympus. The photographs appear to have more noise and artefacts compared to the same shot produced on the camera as a SHQ jpg. I have imported the photographs using as identical and different settings to the on-board camera settings, used sVGA and AdobeRGB colour spaces etc…

Could someone please recommend software that I could use for the raw file conversion? I looked at Capture Pro LE. Unfortunately it did not list my camera model but I guess a .orf file is a .orf file. Is my assumption correct? Or do the internal structure of .orf files vary by what Olympus models have produced them?

Thanks
Haider

Norm in Fujino
03-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi,
Could someone please recommend software that I could use for the raw file conversion? I looked at Capture Pro LE. Unfortunately it did not list my camera model but I guess a .orf file is a .orf file. Is my assumption correct? Or do the internal structure of .orf files vary by what Olympus models have produced them?

No, not all ORF files are the same; you need to be sure the software actually can handle the specific camera file you shot with. My own preference for converters (I use E-300) is Silkypix, but you'll have to check on their website whether they handle files from the C-70. YOu might also look at Raw Shooter Essentials (free) or Raw Shooter Premium (for pay).

Good luck.

haidergill
03-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Norm. I have done some testing by downloading trial versions of Phaseone Capture One and Adobe Photoshop CS2. They both do NOT list my camera Olympus C-70 Zoom (C-7000 Zoom US nomenclature) as being supported in their respective software packages. I managed to open my .orf (Olympus Raw Format) files just fine. I have a hypothesis; I reckon one of the supported Olympus cameras has an identical .orf file structure to the C-70 Zoom. Could well be the C-7070 Zoom. I am chasing up Olympus for definitive answer. Who on a separate point are being less than co-operative, but I will press on regardless...after all Nelson defeated the combined might of the French and Spanish naval forces, I'm hardly going to let a Japanese camera company ride rough shod over me...

rob67
03-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Download raw shooter essentials ...yahoo it. its free and it handles orf and nefs perfectly. I shoot an E-1 and a D-70 nikon. It reads both automatically and its batch process is amazing. Very slick interface and very quick.

rob67
03-31-2006, 02:14 PM
somebody beat me too it.:D

Norm in Fujino
03-31-2006, 06:03 PM
The one real issue I always had with RSE is its handling of the red-green axis with the Olympus ORF files. It never was able to get them right. RSP improved, especially after getting a custom camera profile, but it's still not as good as Silkypix for color. If you're only developing a few shots and want to do them pretty much at defaults, Studio and Master produce the most loyal color to the out-of-camera jpegs, but neither one has the speed or features of Silkypix. I've given some examples a couple of times before, so you might want to refer to these threads:

Silkypix versus RSE, #1 (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11619&highlight=Silkypix)
Silkypix versus RSE, #2 (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8152&page=2).

nandu
11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Download picasa (picasa.google.com) and it will be able to read and convert .ORF file.