PDA

View Full Version : video mode : 30 fps is 15 fps ???

cescigues
10-26-2004, 05:47 PM
I am searching for a camera which makes good video (for family video). I don't want to use two separate machines anymore.
I downloaded many samples from different cameras (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Fujifilm), all in 640x480 at 30 fps.
But when I try to play them on my computer (Macintosh G3/500/Radeon Mac edition 32MB/ QuickTime 6.0.3) they ALL play at 15 fps. QuickTime agrees that the movies are supposed to be at 30 fps, BUT they play at 15 fps. Even when I play them half size, video is choppy. The only video I can play at 30 fps are 320x240.
What happens? Do my Macintosh lack of power or are all manufacturers lying about they products?
Second question :
My idea is to get the video on the Mac, edit the video, cut the bad parts, send it back to the camera and then to a dvd home recorder. Is that completely stupid?

Rhys
10-26-2004, 10:20 PM
I am searching for a camera which makes good video (for family video). I don't want to use two separate machines anymore.
I downloaded many samples from different cameras (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Fujifilm), all in 640x480 at 30 fps.
But when I try to play them on my computer (Macintosh G3/500/Radeon Mac edition 32MB/ QuickTime 6.0.3) they ALL play at 15 fps. QuickTime agrees that the movies are supposed to be at 30 fps, BUT they play at 15 fps. Even when I play them half size, video is choppy. The only video I can play at 30 fps are 320x240.
What happens? Do my Macintosh lack of power or are all manufacturers lying about they products?
Second question :
My idea is to get the video on the Mac, edit the video, cut the bad parts, send it back to the camera and then to a dvd home recorder. Is that completely stupid?

I use a Canon S1 IS. On my home PC (2.2Ghz Win XP Pro SP2, 256mb DDR 2100) the videos shot at 30fps VGA are flawless. On my girlfriend's 1.4Ghz Windows ME, 128mb rambus machine, the video is very choppy.

The choppiness can be reduced by stopping everything from running that's not strictly necessary for viewing the video and by increasing the amount of ram. Faster processors help too.