PDA

View Full Version : Moonlight Shot

ReMarkable
03-16-2006, 10:56 AM
I have a Sony DSC-V3 and night before last there was a really nice bright full moon and the night was clear. But when I took a picture of it, I used it's automatic scene setting for night, and even used a tripod due to the slower shutter speed, the picture turned out well but the moon lacked detail and there was a glow around the moon, which I was trying to achieve the picture in more detail without all that glow...any suggestions? Thanks

GabOrcinus
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
First, you have to go to manual mode. The reason the moon appeared like that was because your camera tried to expose for a VERY dark frame, with a small bright object, thus resulting in the wrong metering for your intentions.

My suggestion would be to set aperture to F8, ISO to 50-100 and shutter speed over 1/40, depending on how much detail and glow you want/don't want.

There are a few moon photos in my gallery, if you want to take a look. The link is in my signature.

DonSchap
03-16-2006, 07:04 PM
When doing tricky photography, using a modern digital... I still say... use a trick: Take two pics (or more... they're cheap enough :D ) using a variety of settings. For these "bright spot" shots... take one of the moon... it's not moving that fast... and then one at the correct exposure of your real subject.

After you have captured your image(s)... run off to the digital darkroom and have a blast. Crop out the "fuzzy moon" and that goofy halo effect and then overlay your "clear moon" shot. You would be amazed at just how clear those dark shots can be ;) . It may not be natural, but it sure gets the mission accomplished... without all the inherent frustration of guessing. :mad:

Yeah, yeah... I know I'm going to catch flack for this... but welcome to 2006! :eek: