PDA

View Full Version : White Halo

dnews
07-16-2004, 11:02 PM
I get a white halo or fringe around bright objects (such as a white statue in the sun) when using my Canon S400. What causes this? How can I avoid it?

I'm an amateur and have been using the automatic settings.

Jake Conner
07-17-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure quite what you mean... could you post a sample pic?

Jake

dnews
07-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Sure... here is a sample. Note the haze above the head. There is some compression artifact also now.

.... actually, I think I solved my problem. I cleaned my dirty lense and the pictures seem better. I'll need to double check when the light is brighter outside.

duh

thanks

dnews
07-18-2004, 03:58 PM
OK.. Cleaning the lense was the trick. Here are before and after shots of a white piece of paper. The lense had a finger print on it - probably sun screen.

Pretty stupid, but a happy ending.

Rhys
07-21-2004, 04:23 PM
OK.. Cleaning the lense was the trick. Here are before and after shots of a white piece of paper. The lense had a finger print on it - probably sun screen.

Pretty stupid, but a happy ending.

This is one reason I disliked skylight filters with 35mm photography. They attracted more dirt and diffused the light naturally more than the bare lens on its own. There's a heck of a difference between a photo taken as the lens manufacturer intended and a photo taken though some filter.

Jake Conner
07-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Not if you use Tiffen or Hoya SMC filters...