PDA

View Full Version : Im a newbie at this...Can some explain macro's...?

MedicinalHerbs
10-25-2004, 07:01 PM
Hey Guys...
Hopefully someone can explain Macrop[hotography...im new to the scene and trying to get the hang of my dx7440 (kodak)

I am primarily looking at doing macro's of plant matter, i have a few questions

1. Will my dx7330 do macros without an additional lens...?
1a: If i do need alenses, what one should i start with ?

2. Why do my pictures become blurry when i zoom in too much?
can someone explain things like aperature and shutter speed....?

I am using this unit for mostly close ups, what are the optimal setting for close ups?

Please forgive my digi-ignorange...but im new and trying to learn....

pgoelz
10-26-2004, 04:34 AM
Yes, the 7440 will do macros without any additional lenses.... within its design limits. If you look in the manual you will find that the minimum distance changes when you zoom.... you cannot focus as close when you are zoomed in. Put it in macro mode and try focusing at various distances within the range given in the manual and see if you can get as close as you need to.

You may find that if you are using the built in flash, extreme closeups are not evenly illuminated due to the location of the flash.

When the camera shutter is open, light is accumulating on the imager. To form a good image with the proper range of light to dark, the imager in the camera needs a specific amount of light. Shutter speed and aperture simply control how much light is admitted to the imager. Longer shutter speeds (like 1/100 of a second vs. 1/1000 of a second) let light in for a longer time. Lower aperture numbers (like f2.8 vs. f8.... it represents the size of the "hole" that the light passes through in the lens) let in more light.... for as long as the shutter is open. Normally, the camera can control both for a correct exposure, but you can set them in manual mode as well and observe the exposure value in the display.... when it is 0 it is perfect. Exposure times below something like 1/20 second make camera movement more noticeable (depends a lot on your technique and how much you shake). Aperture setting affects the depth of field... whether or not foreground and background objects are in focus. Larger aperture numbers mean more depth of field. Hope that made sense.... photography 101 in one paragraph ;)

Start playing around with the camera. The beauty of digital photography is that you can shoot hundreds or even thousands of pictures and never waste a penny on film! And the beauty of the 7440 is that you can actually get a good idea what the shot looks like on the large display. And you can zoom in on the shot after you take it and examine it up VERY close.

MedicinalHerbs
10-26-2004, 09:09 PM
wow...that does help...
thank you my friend...i'll post up a few pics when im ready

pgoelz
10-27-2004, 04:57 AM
Have fun! I'm loving digital photography.... it does take some of the "magic" away from the process. I do miss the darkroom. Maybe I can do my photo editing in a darkened room with a single red bulb and leave some acetic acid in a pan to get that nostalgic smell in the air?