PDA

View Full Version : New SD200 shots

olias
10-25-2004, 03:32 PM
For those interested in the Canon SD200, I've posted some shots I've taken with this little point and shoot on my site: www.homepage.mac.com/glurp/Digitalphotography.html

All photos were taken in auto mode, with only a little USM added in Photoshop after the fact. For the full size image, just click on the photos a second time from the webpage.

As a 2nd, take anywhere digicam, I think the SD200 nicely fits the bill.

damax452
10-25-2004, 03:41 PM
They look good, you've almost convinced me to get the sd200. I'm in the market for my first digital camera. I have been looking hard at the sd200/sd300 because of the small size, good movie mode, and neat features. How would you rate the movie mode?

olias
10-25-2004, 03:48 PM
I haven't had time to really play with the movie mode to the extent that I would like, but I will once the new larger capacity sd card arrives. What the SD200 offers is certainly on a par with the best that other digicams feature in this area, at least spec-wise. I'm looking forward to filling the card up with video and then I'll comment more on this feature.

Arthur44
10-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Nice Pictures.

I'm thinking of getting the SD200 or SD300 but am worried about the purple fringing and noise issues people seem to be finding. Your photos don't show this but have you had any of these issues?

I intend to just print photos that are 4x6...do you think the quality will be fine at this size?

olias
10-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Noise isn't really a problem at all on the SD200 in most everyday situations, especially at low ISO and with good light. Purple fringing can be seen to a degree in the Bug shot, but it isn't that noticeable. If you make a 4x6 print from that photo I don't think you'd be bothered by it. As a matter of comparison, in the shots I've seen from my buddy's A95, PF is worse on that camera.

Arthur44
10-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Good to know about the noise/PF since I will only be using it in pretty ordinary situations.

One final question. Would the noise/PF be any worse on the SD300? I'd think not but thought I'd ask anyway...

surnish
10-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Very nice! I just ordered an SD200, your pictures convince me its the correct decision for a non-primary camera (both my wife & I are into photography and tend to fall back on our film SLRs for artistic shots).

Look forward to seeing your experience with video...

D70FAN
10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Very nice! I just ordered an SD200, your pictures convince me its the correct decision for a non-primary camera (both my wife & I are into photography and tend to fall back on our film SLRs for artistic shots).

Look forward to seeing your experience with video...

Ahh, film, how quaint. ;)

olias
10-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I think 3.2 mp is rather a sweet spot in point and shoot digicams, offering a nice balance between detail and noise. between the SD200 and SD300 there is only an 800K pixel difference, so I don't imagine you would see a very noticeable increase in noise, but I haven't compared the two.

surnish
10-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Ahh, film, how quaint. ;)

:) I guess some of us just enjoy the older medium... there's something to making your own prints with a "traditional" photographic process.

Do I plan to go dSLR some day? Sure! What's your setup like, and what do you use for prints?

Oh, and coming back to the SD200 / SD300 discussion - I'm fairly confident that 3.2 megapixels is going to be adequate for my needs... and I look forward to sharing my experiences.