PDA

View Full Version : I'm having fun time and hard time

jiaji
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
hello fellows....
i read the review and review and finally bought a camera, A520, which cost about 50% of my monthly salary :| (i'm from Malaysia)

with the camera, i took quite some pictures.
some are not bad(to me), some are really bad...

and i have 1 serious problem when taking shot not using flash, everything seems wrong. the picture is so blur...

i attached a few sample and after seeing the pictures, you all should know what's my problem is, please help...

some are those photos are more than 1mb large file, yet the effect is so bad :(

JLV
03-06-2006, 06:35 PM
If you were not using flash and the light is low, you are probably shooting at a slow shutter speed, thus your pictures are a little blurry.

MBCook
03-06-2006, 06:43 PM
I checked the EXIF data on your first shot (the stuff the camera puts on like how fast the shutter was) and it says the shot was taken with a shutter speed of 1/8th of a second. I don't know what your ISO rating was, that's not in there (that Photoshop can tell me, at least).

Your problem is that you couldn't hold the camera steady for that 1/8th of a second (or your dog didn't hold still for that long, or a combination of both). This can be a common problem, as it can be hard to hold the camera steady for more than 1/30th of a second or so (each person is different).

The camera decided to use such a slow shutter because of the amount of light. So to prevent your picture from turning out very dark, it chose a very open aperture (the opening inside the lens) of F/3.2 and a slow shutter so plenty of light would get into the camera.

There are a few ways to fix this. The first (and most obvious that you obviously know about) is to use the Flash to provide more light, so you can use a quicker exposure. You can also use other sources of light like turning on more room lights or opening blinds. You will never have this problem outside on a bright day.

Your other real option is to turn up the ISO sensitivity. Now you may have to switch from fully automatic mode to "P" for Program. By turning up the ISO you make the image sensor more sensitive. So if you go from ISO 100 to 200, then instead of needing a 1/8th sec exposure, you use a 1/16th of a sec exposure. That will give you a better chance, the 1/32nd of a second exposure you'd get with ISO 400 would be even better.

The problem with this is that the higher the ISO, the more noise is in the picture.

This is a problem that all digital cameras suffer from to various degrees. Indoor shooting can be tough because of it.

The best advice I can give you is to look at the shutter speed. When you half-click the shutter button, the screen will probably show you what the exposure is. By watching this you can gain experience and you'll get better at avoiding this problem.

The other option is to steady the camera more. There are a couple of ways to do this. First, if your camera has a little viewfinder, I'd use it instead of the LCD screen. If you are holding the camera to your face you will be able to keep it much more steady than if you are holding the camera out at arm's length. You can also brace your arm against a doorway or some such to help you hold the camera steady.

Then, there is always a tripod. But they can be big and bulky and you don't always have one with your or want to carry one around for casual shots.

tim11
03-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Sample1 - shutter speed 1/8 sec.
Sample2 - shutter speed 1/4 sec.
For a person walking you need 1/60s to get a sharp image.
For a person running, nothing less than 1/125 second.
You need to use the flash indoors even it appears it's bright enough. If you use higer ISO you will improve slightly but the catch is higher noise.
Don't be disappointed, not many cameras handle indoors very well.

jiaji
03-06-2006, 08:29 PM
first of all, i must thank everyone who gave me such helpful information, spending time to reply me, and this is a really good forum!

the solution is...
1. turn on flash, which will cause me another problem (green eye)
2. increase ISO, i'll try this. (may cause noise)
3. use viewfinder instead of LCD, i'll try this too. (hopefully can reduce handshake)

MBCook/tim11,
"The best advice I can give you is to look at the shutter speed. When you half-click the shutter button, the screen will probably show you what the exposure is. By watching this you can gain experience and you'll get better at avoiding this problem."

"For a person walking you need 1/60s to get a sharp image.
For a person running, nothing less than 1/125 second."

So what can i do if the shutter speed doens't reach what it should be?
Change the ISO acccordingly until it reach that range?

the sample 3 is the green eye of my dog, just to share, i know the suggestion probably is to edit with photoshop, huh, i dont really like to edit photo.

sample 4 :D
this is the photo i consider GOOD :p
using hand without flash.

* All photos were size reduced due to the limit size allow in forum.

tim11
03-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Scary.. lolz.. At least the image is much sharper thus proving our tips work and you have something to correct with software compare to a badly blurred image that nothing can salvage that you had before.
In lower light, you can only raise ISO (if increasing light intensity is not possible). If you increase shutter speed in lower light all you will get is a blacked out photo. Photography is all about light. If there is no light there is no photography.
As for your Sample4, there is no point using flash - it will not reach that far anyway. You can use a tripod or putting a camera on a chair since the subject is stationery and get better or same result.

tim11
03-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I suggest you put a high power lamp for a photo session with the dogs. Use ISO200, Hold the camera 2 hands and viewfinder; the idea is to hold the camera really steady. If the dogs don't move for 1/8 - 1/15 seconds then you will have your shots.

lemalis
03-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi, I just got a A520 myself, and in playing with it, I've found that if I use the pre-programed 'indoor' setting, {check the manual on how to do this, I don't have mine in front of me to tell you} I don't need the flash. I haven't tried to photgraph a moving object that way, but the low-light results were very nice, and I don't have the steadiest hand.

The other thing you can try is to tone down the flash output. There's a setting in the functions menu where you can change the output. I have found that for most of my shots so far, the flash is WAY too bright, so I have it set at half of what the default is. Lowering the flash output to the lowest level that gives you a clear shot may reduce your green eye.

If I get the chance, I'll try to photgraph my land lady's dog this weekend and I'll let you know if I find something that works well.

Keep playing with it, it's a neat camera. Good luck!

lemalis