PDA

View Full Version : Can a Digicam be damege by an ultra bright led???

CanonManiac
10-25-2004, 03:29 PM
What would happen if i have the camera on and point close to the lens with a high bright red led ? is there a possibility to harm the lens or something?
(Note: not take a picture of it just simply pointing the lens).

Hope anyone can help me out!

D70FAN
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
What would happen if i have the camera on and point close to the lens with a high bright red led ? is there a possibility to harm the lens or something?
(Note: not take a picture of it just simply pointing the lens).

Hope anyone can help me out!

An interesting question... but you must have a reason for asking.

I would think that even an ultra-bright LED (of any color) would not have enough power/intensity to harm the sensor, especially with the shutter closed.

However, my disclaimer: This doesn't mean I would recommend it. ;)

CanonManiac
10-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanx goeorge for your reply!
im asking this because my little cousin power on the camera (canon a95) and point the lens with a utra bright red led for about 5 secs, he didnt take a picture and the lcd screen was off (i supose this because this cam has a swivel lcd screen and it wasnt swivel).
Thats why my question! i was wondering if for any reason the camera could be dameged....

i was worried about the little video cam that has to display image on the lcd could be affected by this and so when the camera is in auto mode perhaps could not perform well autofocus, determine shutter speed etc etc...

jamison55
10-25-2004, 06:15 PM
I have shot the sun directly on occasion with my earlier digicams with no ill effect...