PDA

View Full Version : CompactFlash Card for PowerShot S1 IS - Movie Mode

VancouverMike
10-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Just wondering what type of CompactFlash cards everyone is using for movie mode in the S1 IS? I'm looking to purchase a 1GB card and am wondering whether a 'standard' (blue label) SanDisk would be satisfactory or not. I've reviewed all the information on the SanDisk site and it really isn't of much help as it doesn't go into detail re: write speed for the basic card compared to say the Ultra II.

Thanks. :)

Rhys
10-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Just wondering what type of CompactFlash cards everyone is using for movie mode in the S1 IS? I'm looking to purchase a 1GB card and am wondering whether a 'standard' (blue label) SanDisk would be satisfactory or not. I've reviewed all the information on the SanDisk site and it really isn't of much help as it doesn't go into detail re: write speed for the basic card compared to say the Ultra II.

Thanks. :)

I've used a standard 256mb Sandisk card and have made a full 3 min (approx) video that filled the card - no problem,s.

VancouverMike
10-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Rhys,

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else with comments?

alelanza
10-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi, so you think this:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=82250

should be ok for taking 1 gb of the highest quality video the s1 can take?

Thx!

aeapen
10-27-2004, 05:53 AM
I haven't bought a big card yet. Still searching like you. Canon needs minimum write speed of 2MB/Sec. The card speed of 1X = 150Kb/Sec. So it needs atleast a 15X card. If you have more, it'll speed up copying files. I have read somewhere that you need 40X for a decent recording for S1 IS. Or else you might face some frame drops.

VancouverMike
10-27-2004, 10:41 AM
alelanza: That's the card I'm considering but so far no really definitive responses as to whether it would be really suitable.

aepean: The world of CompactFlash cards, and I'm assuming all digital memory formats, is truly confusing as all the manufacturers use different nomenclature. For example, I don't think SanDisk states anywhere in their technical information what the '##x' rating of their disks are so makes it tough to compare. Hence the reason I posted here...to see what everyone is using in their S1 IS.

I have however received some feedback from SanDisk Technical Support (noted following) but again it isn't very definitive...really just seems to say spend more $s for better performance. SanDisk comments: "It is ok to use the standard CF card but you would be better off with the Ultra II CF card specially for taking video"

alelanza
10-28-2004, 01:49 AM
I saw a chart yesterday on these forums, that indicated the s1 would work fine with some regular Sandisk 1 gb CF's. I don't have the link right now (should be a sticky!), but depending on what revision you got it could work just fine or might fail. IIRC, version 03 was fine, whereas v 01 and 99 would after 30 secs or so.
I can't take the risk of RMA, I'll go for the 40x Lexar then:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=83029-3

D70FAN
10-28-2004, 06:09 AM
I haven't bought a big card yet. Still searching like you. Canon needs minimum write speed of 2MB/Sec. The card speed of 1X = 150Kb/Sec. So it needs atleast a 15X card. If you have more, it'll speed up copying files. I have read somewhere that you need 40X for a decent recording for S1 IS. Or else you might face some frame drops.

Most "standard" cards are now ~2MB sec. The high speed rating starts at ~3MB sec. (20X).

6MB sec. = 40X

9MB sec. = 60X

etc.

Rhy's attests to being able to use the standard card for movie mode in the S1 IS. I would think that "standard" speed would suffice.

Rhys
10-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Yes. I tested the camera, setting it to record video while my girlfriend was driving. When the card was full, I viewed the video and see no problems. I used a 256mb sandisk card. I have several 128mb cards, some 64s and 2 256s and have no problems with any of them and none are marked as high speed. My only high-speed cards are my 16 & 8mb freebie cards.

aeapen
10-29-2004, 08:23 AM
I won't buy a standard card unless I am sure of what George Riehm said. '2MB/sec is for standard cards'. Though you won't be able to make out the frame drop, I won't take that risk. I think there should be a bit of frame drop in standard cards, when watched on a TV. You can't make out the frame drop in LCD screen or PC. If I see somewhere in the card, written 2MB/Sec +, I would buy that, Since the issue is recording MOVIE.

Rhys, can you explain more about that buffer S1 IS has?

Rhys
10-29-2004, 12:45 PM
I won't buy a standard card unless I am sure of what George Riehm said. '2MB/sec is for standard cards'. Though you won't be able to make out the frame drop, I won't take that risk. I think there should be a bit of frame drop in standard cards, when watched on a TV. You can't make out the frame drop in LCD screen or PC. If I see somewhere in the card, written 2MB/Sec +, I would buy that, Since the issue is recording MOVIE.

Rhys, can you explain more about that buffer S1 IS has?

Well, what normally happens is that all devices that transfer data from one to another use a buffer to facilitate optimal transfer speeds. Think of it as a hose pouring water into a bucket and a siphon taking water from the bucket. Both have their own rates. The bucket can be regarded as a buffer.

alelanza
10-30-2004, 03:34 AM
This is the chart I was referring to, diff. website actually:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9661164