PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap camera (30-40% video)

Malecky
03-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi!

I need to buy a new digital camera and I dont know which one would suite my needs best.

Budget: arround 400$

Size does not matter

Feautures:

- mp = 4 or more
- Zoom = 3 or more
- Image quality does not matter that much... 7-8

Usage:

- I would use it to record short videos so 640x480 30fps is a must! I am considering the Olympus C-770 Movie but I dont know if its the best or the latest camera for my needs.

- Other usage would be action photos and different car shots and landscape shots.

I like olympus because I find them very easy to use and they seem to make a great photo even when not used by a pro. ;) After reading the reviews and buyrs guide I dont see many olympus cameras to be very good and thats why I am writing this post.

So.. Olympus C-770 UZ movie or something else...better for about the same price?

Thank you for your imput

kajtek123
03-05-2006, 09:56 AM
im really hearing only good things about the canon a class such as the a620 so you might want to check that out

you spelled input wrong lol:D

Malecky
03-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Hehe input input input. :D

Well I checked it out and it really seems good, now I am just torn betwen the
Olympus C-770 UZ Movie (mpeg4, 10x zoom) and Canon A620 (great image quality, beautiful video but 3x zoom and huge quicktime files).

I dont have any experiance in compressing video, is it possible to easy get quicktime movies from the a620 to mpeg4?:confused:

cdifoto
03-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Why not go for a miniDV camcorder instead if video is your priority? You wouldn't be limited to short clips and you'd have better output from a dedicated video camera. They're also designed ergonomically to be held for video rather than photos (trust me there's a difference). There are camcorders that do take snapshots if you need that ability every so often.

Malecky
03-06-2006, 12:56 AM
I dont think 30% is most of the time. :)

I used a Canon miniDV (mvix 300 or something ) and it was horrible, video isnt better at all except for the storage, photos are worse than my mobile phone, the camera is quite big and unpractical so no....definitely no!

I think its all betwen the C-770 and the Canon A620 or is there anything beter in this sector maybe with mpeg4? :confused:

bascom
03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Well I checked it out and it really seems good, now I am just torn betwen the
Olympus C-770 UZ Movie (mpeg4, 10x zoom) and Canon A620 (great image quality, beautiful video but 3x zoom and huge quicktime files).

The Canon A700 has 6x zoom and does 640x480 video at 30 fps. I don't know if the photos will be as good as the A610/A620. It's new so there aren't any reviews yet.

TampaJim
03-07-2006, 07:00 AM
The Canon A610 is an incredible value - the quality is great and the included software is tough to beat.

cdifoto
03-07-2006, 07:08 AM
I dont think 30% is most of the time. :)

I used a Canon miniDV (mvix 300 or something ) and it was horrible, video isnt better at all except for the storage, photos are worse than my mobile phone, the camera is quite big and unpractical so no....definitely no!

I think its all betwen the C-770 and the Canon A620 or is there anything beter in this sector maybe with mpeg4? :confused:

Sorry I missed the percentage in the title. Just read the thread and it sounded like you were doing primarily video with the occasional snapshot. Ignore my advice then. :D :p

The reason I suggested a miniDV camcorder is that my Sony provided pretty darn good video considering how compact it was. DVD quality when you had enough light...just not quite so hot when it got darker. Snapshots weren't too bad either but of course they couldn't replace a dedicated still camera. My only complaint with that camcorder is it didn't last me long. I only got a couple uses out of it and the sensor went bad. I won't buy another Sony product again because I've had very little luck with the longevity of their products...but I do like 'em while they last!