PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rebel vs. 10D & 20D

VictoriaBlue
10-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi all,

My name is Victoria Blue & I'm a model, actress & photography in the NYC area.

Modeling has been my main work, but I have been dabling in photography for the past few years, while using only a simple Sony Cybershot U.

I'm looking to upgrade to a more professional camera, as well as learn the details of camera settings. Canon is my brand of choice.

I'm not sure if I should spend the extra money on a 20D since it just came out, or get a 10D. Also, I know that the Digital Rebel is just a stripped version of a 10D, but would it be worth getting?

I am looking to shoot a variety of subjects with the camera, but mostly nature & fashion/fetish models.

Any suggestions on to which camera would be the best to start with, as well as the best investment - let me know!

I'm also looking for good tutorial books for the Canon camera that I get.

D70FAN
10-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

My name is Victoria Blue & I'm a model, actress & photography in the NYC area.

Modeling has been my main work, but I have been dabling in photography for the past few years, while using only a simple Sony Cybershot U.

I'm looking to upgrade to a more professional camera, as well as learn the details of camera settings. Canon is my brand of choice.

I'm not sure if I should spend the extra money on a 20D since it just came out, or get a 10D. Also, I know that the Digital Rebel is just a stripped version of a 10D, but would it be worth getting?

I am looking to shoot a variety of subjects with the camera, but mostly nature & fashion/fetish models.

Any suggestions on to which camera would be the best to start with, as well as the best investment - let me know!

I'm also looking for good tutorial books for the Canon camera that I get.

Unless you can find the 10D for substantially less money, the 20D would be a better choice in this price range. The Digital Rebel might also suffice if you are not planning to be a photojournalist, and would certainly be a very good, low cost, learning tool.

As for books, you might try these:

20D:
http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canon20D.htm

10D:

http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canon10D.htm

DReb (300D)

http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canonrebel.htm

Enjoy!

suemccartin
11-10-2004, 02:35 PM
The Rebel will be far and away more camera than what you're used to, the big advantage to something like the rebel is that you won't lose your investment in the lenses!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a Rebel, while it's not quite all the camera I want it's what I can afford and later when the 20D comes down because newer models are out I'll be getting one of those. The Rebel has a plastic body, while the 10D/20D are made of sturdier stuff and there are also differences in the shutter mechanism and the control options. The Rebel is ok but the options are somewhat stripped down for those used to professional film cameras. It's much more camera than my old G2, even with the limitations, I just love it.

This stuff is such an investment already, it might behoove you to buy the Rebel and spend the rest of the money on lenses. There's standard EF lenses and then the much pricier L series lenses.

Most photographers like to have a "backup" body in case something happens to the main or just to have two lenses available for a quick grab. Either body offers ETTL for the flash and if you're going to do a lot of model stuff you'll probably want a 550EX or 580EX flash that has all the fancy slave modes (& then also a couple of lesser flashes like the 420EX for slaves).

You can't go wrong with the rebel, it just depends on if you've got the extra cash to buy a 20D and several lenses right off the bat.