PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Book Recs

SketchySmurf
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I've been working with Photoshop for a long time so I know my way around it very well. But I'm relatively new to photography and haven't had much experience using PS for that.

I'm particularly interested in the following:
-Retouching, manipulations regarding faces i.e. removing blemishes, toning, etc...
-Tasteful and appropriate use of dodging/burning
-several good settings and applications of USM
-Working with curves
-some effects (though nothing too far out)

D Thompson
03-02-2006, 03:52 PM
A good one for me that will cover a lot of your requests is "Photoshop - Restoration & Retouching" by Katrin Eisman.

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

Dave Dilks
03-02-2006, 07:16 PM
A good one for me that will cover a lot of your requests is "Photoshop - Restoration & Retouching" by Katrin Eisman.

I was about to recommend the same one. Her "Photoshop - Masking and Compositing" book is a good one, too.

D Thompson
03-03-2006, 02:01 AM
I was about to recommend the same one. Her "Photoshop - Masking and Compositing" book is a good one, too.
From what I've seen, she doesn't write a bad book. I'd love to make it to one of her seminars.

aparmley
03-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Anything by Scott Kelby I recommend. I love his writing style and his books are very informative. He writes his books so you can jump into any chapter with any excersise and learn that technique. I'ved used his Elements books and his CS2 books.

dallas75287
03-05-2006, 08:58 AM

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

I've been eyeing this book and "Photoshop Masking & Compositing" by Katrin Eismann. I believe these were written for Photoshop 7. Do the technques from these books apply to Photoshop CS2? Thanks.

D Thompson
03-05-2006, 10:07 AM
I've been eyeing this book and "Photoshop Masking & Compositing" by Katrin Eismann. I believe these were written for Photoshop 7. Do the technques from these books apply to Photoshop CS2? Thanks.
I don't have "Masking & Compositing" but I would assume you could take most of it and apply it to CS2. The 3rd edition of "Photoshop Retouching & Restoration" was released for CS2. Hope this helps.

Dave Dilks
03-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Here's a direct quote from the Introduction to Photoshop Masking and Compositing:

I did concentrate on the latest version of Photoshop CS when writing this book. If you are still working with version 6.0 or 7.0, you will still learn a lot, because the most important tools for masking and compositing - layers, alpha channels, and blend modes - are part of the previous versions. And this book will also be useful long after the next release of Photoshop.

SilverTurtle
03-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I received How to Wow Photoshop for Photography (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321357507/sr=8-1/qid=1141600444/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4508420-5196818?%5Fencoding=UTF8) for Christmas. It's really indepth and geared towards more advanced photoshop users. Also for PC and Mac. I've learned a ton, and used maybe 1/4 of it so far.

Charlie T
03-06-2006, 12:08 PM
I would also recommend Scott Kelby Books, and a DVD of Shane Goldberg Digital Cosmetics Surgery Made Easy