PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wants digital prints...Help!

shades9323
10-25-2004, 06:39 AM
I recently picked up a Pana FZ3. I just got back from vacation in the Smokie Mountains. I took tons of pictures. I want to get the printed at sams club. I will be doing my own photo editing. I have no idea what I need to do. I will give them a cd rom. Do I need to resize to 4x6? What dpi? What pic format must it be in? Tiff or jpg? All answers will be helpfull.

John_Reed
10-25-2004, 06:57 AM
I recently picked up a Pana FZ3. I just got back from vacation in the Smokie Mountains. I took tons of pictures. I want to get the printed at sams club. I will be doing my own photo editing. I have no idea what I need to do. I will give them a cd rom. Do I need to resize to 4x6? What dpi? What pic format must it be in? Tiff or jpg? All answers will be helpfull."dpi" is for the printer to decide, depending upon the size print you want, etc. Send your full-resolution images, either TIFF or JPEG should work fine, although JPEG is a more universal format, you may need to check with Sam's Club to see what they require. Once they're available on-line, you can crop and edit, and then choose the print sizes you want. Go for it! :)

theplanr
10-26-2004, 08:08 PM
I've gotten prints made at Sam's with pretty decent results.
I resize the image to the print size i want before giving it to them.
If you want the same image in different sizes save them as different files, that way you have the most control over the cropping and such.
I figure the less they have to do to the prints the better.

My experience is that the prints tend to be a little on the dark side so i usually go into levels in Photoshop and boost the 1st output level to somewhere between 20-30 depending on the image.

Hope this helps.