PDA

View Full Version : SD 300 (ixus 40) info + comparison to s410 (ixus 430)

twb
10-25-2004, 02:03 AM
A short comparison between the ixus 40 and 430 + important details on the ixus 40 that haven't been mentioned.

- Great feature - :)
You can lock the zoom while browsing images! Just press the set button after you have zoomed into an images and then jump right to the next image with zoom active! Allows for great comparison of noise, etc between images!

- First impression -
So much smaller, even though it's really only thickness. Really portable. Battery and memory card account for most of smaller size. The plastic details smudge a bit (fingerprints, etc). The camera is FAST at everything it does! Except perhaps browsing through images that are rotated in the screen, but you can turn this feature off.

- Image quality -
The 430 is better with less purfle fringing and more sharpness. Also, I found that the 430 had better and more accurate focus. But colors and quality are still good on the 40. The smaller sensor creates such problems, but it's still a canon, which means good image quality.

- Movie mode - :) :cool:
WOW! This is top-of-the-line! I get excellent quality VGA movies at 30fps in good lighting, and ok quality in bad lighting. Limitless recording is excellent, and the mic is moved to the front of the camera, which is better. Had hoped for an even better mic, though. Such good video quality should have that. An important difference is that the 40 doesn't have locked exposure, which means that you can move around smoothly. The 430 was locked. Focus is still locked, but that doesn't present much of a problem. The fast frame rate is awesome! Record something and play it back in the camera at 30, 15, 7,5 or 1 fps! Awesome!

- More -
Finally the tripod mount is under the lens. On the 430 is was very off. You can make great panoramas with this and the (up to 15 second) shutter speed. Great software. Don't even need to use the computer mouse to transfer images - Do it through the ixus 40! Transfer all, new or selected images.

- The gist -
Buy this camera for the small size and the great movie mode. Quality is good. Features are excellent. It's a great complement to a digital SLR (which can't make movies), or just as a good & cool standalone camera!

/ twb

mikos
10-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Limitless recording is excellent
/ twb

It is limited though - up to 3 min per clip no matter how huge SD memory card you have ;)

Well it is a great cam but overall image quality compared to ixus 430 (410) is much worse (!)... We might expect better results from Canon's new "baby ixus" ;)

David Metsky
10-26-2004, 07:24 AM
It is limited though - up to 3 min per clip no matter how huge SD memory card you have ;)
Not according to the specs or the reviews. Am I missing something?

I really don't see the image quality as being "much worse", but it is less than the 410 or 500. Having said that, for what I am looking for in a pocket camera it takes more than acceptable quality images. The image galleries posted online support that for me.

-dave-

twb
10-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Well, I have now several times made movies that run until my memorycard is full and i can with certainty say that the specs are true - unlimited.

Image quality is definetely good for a camera this size. It's a keeper!

/ twb

lliddar
10-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Just joined this site as I'm interested in buying my first digicam...

Is there any release date information regarding the SD300??

mikos
10-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Not according to the specs or the reviews. Am I missing something?
-dave-

Well, I've found info on:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=10599

where it states: "Individual clips are limited to 3 minutes"

But I might be wrong - I looked closer in that matter and what I found out is that the clip' limitation conserns 160x120 movie record mode (ref.: dprev.com). Other are limited to 1G (SD capacity) - it's about 8 min ;)

To see difference in image quality (which to me SD300 is much worse than S410) check out two portraits:

S410 http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/images/d_camera/S410_samp1.jpg
SD300 http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/images/d_camera/sd300_sample1.jpg

or se the S400 gallery (keeping in mind all "nice" pictures of SD300):
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canons400_samples/

SD300...
...images are softer (all-the-way), having less details, blurry corners, lots of purple fringing, more noisy 400 ISO - "that" meens "much" to me ;)

I have no interest to discourage you from buying SD300/SD200 - I'm not a digicam producer nor reseller ;)
I've just expected more from this new digicam :(

variozin
12-02-2004, 11:45 PM
hi Mikos,
sorry that you got a bit frustrated as you expected more than what you have actually got in sd300..I hope the following pictures can provide more reasonable and fair comparison between younger and elder...

image from ixus40 -->http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~arb/ixus40/img_0013.jpg

image from ixus400 --> http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~arb/ixus40/img_5132.jpg

note: Both images taken at maximum resolution in Automatic mode. mistakenly :rolleyes: the photographer left the 400 set to Superfine quality but the 40 set to just Fine quality so you may see less JPEG artefacts in the 400 photo.

hope this will help

one word : high and powerfull processor digic 2 does not only means speedy performance. But, it also matters a lot to color reproduction and image processing,etc, so in all making the image quality better.
but if rarely noticeable purple fringing and hazy corners matter too much then its better to consider 400s and 500s high.. :)

cheers :cool:

Tremendo
12-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Those are better pictures to look at, even though the different settings on the 400. I love my SD300, great pics. I imagine you can set up the perfect environment to create excess purple fringing, but I've taken hundreds of pics indoor and outdoor, including beach and portraits, and not had any noticable blurry or purple parts of the pictures.

humara
12-03-2004, 04:43 PM

Well it is a great cam but overall image quality compared to ixus 430 (410) is much worse (!)... We might expect better results from Canon's new "baby ixus" ;)

Well, I'll disagree with both of these statements. You're only limited on video length if you have an older slower SD card. even the basic sd card from sandisk is fast enough. the ultra II and entreme III from sandisk are both more than fast enough to record until full.

The purple fringing in certain situations is the most noticable flaw compared to the s400/s410/s500. otherwise i'd say the image quality is almost as good although not as good. for a point and shoot its better than good enough. i'd say its amazing for how small the camera is.
if that extra bit in size doesn't matter than get the s410/s500. i was always happy with my s400. but even the sd200 is a great camera at 3.2mp. consider the size and price of the sd200 and i'd say its the best point and shoot on the market right now. the megapixel wars are pointless. i just saw a 7mp sony point and shoot. great. i'll print my 20x24 posters with it. not.

so after all that, i'd say i like the canon digital elph line. the sd200/300 is great for the size and price. if you'd like to squeeze out a slightly better image and dont mind the size then go for the s410 (or s500 if you're a megapixel wh*re)