PDA

View Full Version : A75 Dark images when transfer to pc

Nieves
10-24-2004, 05:18 PM
:confused:
If someone can help me.
I recently bought a Canon A75 model, after a few shots I notice an a clear sharp images on the LCD but when I transfer to my PC the images was dark and sharpless. I compose my photos in auto-mode, but I don't know if that is the problem.

jacktdad
02-06-2005, 08:37 AM
I too have found the same problem with my new camera(canonS70). I took it to the local camera shop. They found nothing out of wack, all settings were in default. So the clerk took a snapshot of the store. The pic looked great on the LCD so he transfered the file to the photo making gadget for review. The photo did appear darker but not the horrible pic I have been experiencing. He suggested a firmware update from Canon come to find my camera has the firmware update, might be a place for you to start. I went home and loaded the same photo and sure enough the pic was dark as dark could be. I spoke with Canon, they said I should send the camera back to their factory service center, i shall. I'm afraid it's going to come back with no problem just because the difference I saw from the store and my place. So heres my thought at this point, this is starting to look like a software problem. Possibly the disk that came with the camera is faulty, Digital Camera Solution Disk Ver.20.0, or there's a conflict with some previously installed camera software. This is my second go-around with digital cameras, the first (an Olympus) had no problems and that software is still in my computer. Please reply if you find the problem. Thanks, Bob.

xzli
02-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I once used A70 before. It is same problem and annoying a lot. The picture become darker after downloading. It looks like pretty common anyway. I remember I had to adjust the brighties manually in the picture editor and then save as another file. It is my only solution at that time. I don't know if there is better solution these days.
Hope this tips help.

ReF
02-07-2005, 12:47 AM
this problem is common because many computers come with a default setting that is too dark. there is brightness and contrast settings that can be adjusted on the monitor, but there is also a gamma setting on the computer that controls brightness as well. you don't necessarily have to adjust the gamma if you don't know how but you can increase the brightness on your monitor when you view photos, and then set it back down for comfortable viewing of text and documents. also my contrast setting is at max. you need to observe the settings and keep this consistent everytime you view or edit photos or you will get inconsistent results. calibrations must be made to your monitor display if you want to make accurate adjustments, otherwise your photos might look different in print or on a different computer. the guy at the camera store really should have known this, same goes for the canon rep. you may also notice that your photos are brighter on your TV or in print while it is dark on your computer. it's also not a software problem because you'll also notice that the photos look the same no matter what program you use for viewing. hmmm, now would you really think that the LCD, TV, and print are all wrong, or is the the display settings on the monitor? if you have photoshop there is also a gamma adjustment program that came with it, though i didn't find it very accurate (very subjective). anyways, for what it's worth, go to: my computer > drive c: > program files > common files > adobe folder > calibration > gamma. the wizard will run you through the process. adjust the gamma or your monitor manually if you don't like the results from the wizard.

Bob, no need to send that camera back to canon. :)

CmdrX3
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Having the same problem with a fujifilm camera - When I download to a Windows XP with SP2 installed - I get dark images, When I then send the pic through MSN toanother PC here running Windows 2000, or download the image straight to it, the picture is fine. So far what I seem to have found on the net is Microsoft has apparently changed the ICC colour profiles, whether this is the case or not I dont know. What I do know is that the images used to be perfect, however, I cant remember whether they were perfect before SP2 or SP1. There does seem to be a LOT of people having the same problem though, and although I use the same solution as you ReF, I find it unacceptable that we should have the need to do this. Some people may use a paint package rather than windows colour management to up the brightness/contrast/gamma, and although this may then look good on your own PC, it doesn't when you send it to someone not having the same problem.

love811
02-16-2005, 06:59 AM
hi, mine too is a powershot a75 and on auto mode, the pics do look good on the lcd but appear darker when transferred to the computer. what i did was go to P mode and adjusted the exposure value to +2/3 and everything went fine ... you can try viewing pics i took in this setting at http://photos.yahoo.com/love_811. all values were on auto and just the exposure value was set to +2/3

love811
02-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Having the same problem with a fujifilm camera - When I download to a Windows XP with SP2 installed - I get dark images, When I then send the pic through MSN toanother PC here running Windows 2000, or download the image straight to it, the picture is fine. So far what I seem to have found on the net is Microsoft has apparently changed the ICC colour profiles, whether this is the case or not I dont know. What I do know is that the images used to be perfect, however, I cant remember whether they were perfect before SP2 or SP1. There does seem to be a LOT of people having the same problem though, and although I use the same solution as you ReF, I find it unacceptable that we should have the need to do this. Some people may use a paint package rather than windows colour management to up the brightness/contrast/gamma, and although this may then look good on your own PC, it doesn't when you send it to someone not having the same problem.

Hey, my OS is Win XP with SP2 installed ... you really think that may be the cause of the darker images as compared to how it looked like on the lcd? so, does that mean i should change OS instead or is adjusting the exposure value enough?

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 02:54 AM
:confused:
If someone can help me.
I recently bought a Canon A75 model, after a few shots I notice an a clear sharp images on the LCD but when I transfer to my PC the images was dark and sharpless. I compose my photos in auto-mode, but I don't know if that is the problem.

Can you post some pics so I can see the problem better? Thanks.

jacktdad
02-26-2005, 12:47 PM
I fretted over this problem for quite some time. Downloaded various programs to beef up the brightness of my monitor, but really there's nothing out there to bring brightness to an old monitor. So I purchased a new one, a Samsung 712n, brightness problem is solved! To see if it's your monitor, send one of the dark images to a friend or your place of work.

david93
02-26-2005, 02:55 PM
hi, mine too is a powershot a75 and on auto mode, the pics do look good on the lcd but appear darker when transferred to the computer. what i did was go to P mode and adjusted the exposure value to +2/3 and everything went fine ... you can try viewing pics i took in this setting at http://photos.yahoo.com/love_811. all values were on auto and just the exposure value was set to +2/3

I have the same problem with my a75; my question is when u change the exposure value on the P mode, do u adjust the white balance
ur u leave it in auto

Matlin
02-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I have the same problem (and have read about this problem all over the net) with my G6. The pictures I took in various modes looked perfect on the camera LCD. I have tried to load the pictures to three different computers/monitors that I have; and they all look the same. One thing I have to make it clear is that all of my comps are running on XP with SP2 :o :( . BTW, I did try to calibrate my monitors but nothing help.
I don't know if it is the problem with Canon software or Windows. I guess I'll try to load my pictures to other computer which does not run on XP/SP2 to see if there's any difference.
If someone in here already done that, would you please let me know?
Thanks.

ReF
02-26-2005, 09:52 PM
I have the same problem (and have read about this problem all over the net) with my G6. The pictures I took in various modes looked perfect on the camera LCD. I have tried to load the pictures to three different computers/monitors that I have; and they all look the same. One thing I have to make it clear is that all of my comps are running on XP with SP2 :o :( . BTW, I did try to calibrate my monitors but nothing help.
I don't know if it is the problem with Canon software or Windows. I guess I'll try to load my pictures to other computer which does not run on XP/SP2 to see if there's any difference.
If someone in here already done that, would you please let me know?
Thanks.

so, what you are saying is that you adjusted the gamma setting and/or brightened your monitor and nothing happened? doesn't make sense so far. :confused: pretty much all the computers have similar factory settings so loading it on three different ones doesn't prove much. factory settings from older windows versions have the same problems; i know because i use several computers with different operating systems and they all looked dark, but at slightly different degrees.
while increasing exposure has it's advantages in some ways, you may end up with a whole bunch of overly bright pictures that will all need correcting when you finally get the display settings right.
so far no one has commented on whether or not the display on their monitors matched their prints. my advice is to get your pictures printed from at least 2 different places and adjust your display settings to match the prints.

ReF
02-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I have the same problem with my a75; my question is when u change the exposure value on the P mode, do u adjust the white balance
ur u leave it in auto

exposure and white balance are different values, so adjusting one does not affect the other. have you tried taking two consecutive pics at different exposure values and then compared the white balance? the color tone should be the same.

Matlin
03-04-2005, 09:37 AM
so, what you are saying is that you adjusted the gamma setting and/or brightened your monitor and nothing happened? doesn't make sense so far.
Of course, when you adjust the monitors, there must be some changes to it. What I was trying to say (in my previous post) is that my monitors are set to the best it could be using the calibrating tool of my photo software. Before you say it, I know that I can't expect the perfect/accurate monitor display, but it would be so obvious for everyone to see the differences between the pictures downloaded from my camera and the one I have scanned from my 35mm film, regardless of the setting of the monitors.

dzyan
05-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey I have a really old LG monitor, and I thought that everything was fine, untill my dad sent me some pictures he took with his Nikon DSLR (he is a professional) and the pics were dark and muddy. I found that it was my monitor gamma settings that were affecting them, the resolution; a program called Quick Gamma (available at: http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html) you should set it to be 2.2 for windows or 1.8 on a Mac, problem solved all the images are nice and bright. Hope that this information helps you (Ps. I use a Canon Powershot A75 myself)

PS. Also check out http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html for a great page about gamma and what it means (some of it is very technical).

jazz
08-24-2005, 09:50 PM

Hey I'm having the exact same problem with my new A85. I'm also running XP SP2, and don't really know anyone who isn't running it so I can't test.

Did anyone ever actually diagnose what the real problem is?