PDA

View Full Version : New Pentax Products to be showcased at PMA

Rex914
02-23-2006, 11:55 PM
(GOLDEN, CO.) February 23, 2006...PENTAX Imaging Company has announced three additional digital SLR products that are currently under development and will be showcased under glass at the upcoming PMA 2006 held from February 26 to March 1 in Orlando, Florida.

PENTAX has confirmed that the company will unveil a yet to be named PENTAX 10 megapixel digital SLR camera body, tentatively scheduled for a formal launch in Autumn 2006.

Along with the announcement of this PENTAX digital SLR body, the manufacturer announced a tenth lens that is compatible with the PENTAX digital SLR system. The smc PENTAX-DA 21mm F3.2AL Limited is an interchangeable uni-focal wide-angle lens for exclusive use with PENTAX digital SLR camera bodies. Offering wide-perspective coverage with a 68-degree angle of view (equivalent in focal length to 32mm in the 35mm format, when mounted on a PENTAX *ist D series digital SLR camera body), the lens features a PENTAX-original KAF lens mount. PENTAX has tentatively scheduled the lens launch for June 2006.

PENTAX also will preview the PENTAX 645 medium format digital SLR camera for the first time in the United States. Offering professional-quality digital image reproduction with 18 effective megapixels, a Kodak-developed extra-large CCD image sensor with 18.6 total megapixels (tentative), a PENTAX-original 645AF lens mount, the 645 Digital will maintain compatibility with existing smc PENTAX 645 interchangeable lenses.

Model names, designs, specifications and market launch schedules of these products are all tentative and subject to change without notice.

PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of digital cameras, lenses, binoculars, eyepieces, mobile printers, scanners and Internet cameras. For more than 80 years, PENTAX technology has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.

jeisner
02-24-2006, 05:01 AM
On the pentax Japan website they have also added two new 2.8 zooms to be released late this year...

- DA 16-50 f2.8
- DA 50-135 f2.8

These presumably replace the FF equivelants...
- FA* 28-70 f2.8
- FA* 80-200 f2.8

It seems one by one they are replacing all their FA lenses with digital designed (DA) lenses... 12 digital designed lenses will be available by the end of the year...

astro
02-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the info.
This link has some pics of the goodies :)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pentax_02232006_645dslr_pr.html

jamison55
02-25-2006, 05:35 AM
That digital 645 is a scary looking beast, but I can't wait to see some sample images through the amazing 645 glass...!

Rhys
02-25-2006, 10:40 AM
That digital 645 is a scary looking beast, but I can't wait to see some sample images through the amazing 645 glass...!

I can't wait to see people's faces a year or so after they all dump their 35mm Canon/Nikon digital equivalent in favour of this digital 645, when Canon or Nikon comes out with a bigger megapixel 35mm digital SLR.

jeisner
02-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I am curious to see how much better the dynamic range and tonality is with the large sensor in the 645..

Also more info from tekade (a german pentax dealer who is usually pretty accurate), the new 10mp APS-C camera will have SR (shake reduction), and also power contacts back in the mount.

Great times for Pentax fans... :D

jeisner
02-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Ohh another update the 60-250 f4 has also been delayed until 2007, as it will require the power contacts in the new mount (so only compatable with the new 10mp camera and onwards)....

It looks like the new mount will still support all older lenses, but some of the newest lenses will not work (well at least with AF) on the previous mount...

Ishkabibble
02-25-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm wondering why Pentax would choose to offer the 645 with such a small review window. The trend in SLR and dSLR has been towards larger crystals. Certainly the demographic of this camera would benefit from a larger display? Just my 2.