PDA

View Full Version : help canon sd500 is producing swirling spots

venkman
02-22-2006, 12:28 AM
My canon SD500 in some situations makes a circle artifact that looks like a spiral. Is that normal? Can I correct it? If there is away to post pics I can post some example shots. Thanks!

GabOrcinus
02-22-2006, 10:41 AM
My canon SD500 in some situations makes a circle artifact that looks like a spiral. Is that normal? Can I correct it? If there is away to post pics I can post some example shots. Thanks!
There *is* a way to attach images.

When making a post, below the text box, you'll see an area named Attach Files. Voilá!

Don't forget to resize the image though.

venkman
02-22-2006, 07:35 PM
okay here is a sample.

venkman
02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
here is the same pic cropped.

skeeder
02-22-2006, 07:53 PM
that looks cool!

okay but seriously. did you clean the lens?

kgosden
02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I agree with the very cool look. Quickly run to the southwest US and take some red rock shots. Send them to a scientific journal along with a new paper on some ancient native culture. Heck, it worked for the stem cell guy in Korea...

But seriously, it looks like some kind of flaw in the lens or CCD. Is it always in the same location? Is it in every photo, or just under certain lighting conditions. Only with the flash? Can you take a photo with the lens covered and it still shows up? If it showed when the lens was capped I would go with the CCD being bad as that instance would not have any light entering the lens thus eliminating diffraction effects, etc.

tim11
02-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I'd say it's lens glare resulting from back lighting. Point the camera away from that light bulb; that's your solution.

venkman
02-23-2006, 01:29 AM
it isn't always in the same place. I have multiple sample pictures. It appears to only happen in low light situations. Thanks for your help.

venkman
02-23-2006, 01:30 AM
all of my outdoor shots are fine. I have taken multiple photos in a row before inside with almost the exact same location and some produce it and some don't. If it is a flaw then I want to get it fixed but if it is just the nature of the camera I guess I will deal with it.

venkman
02-23-2006, 01:31 AM
ohh and I have cleaned the lense but maybe I haven't done it correctly. I just used the real soft cloth that I got for cleaning my eye glasses.

coldrain
02-23-2006, 01:50 AM
What you are seeing are reflections inside the lens from bright light sources. That is why they are not always on the same spot. You cleaning the lens may have something to do with it, a slight film of oily dirt and such can introduce reflextions. Your camera is not broken.

tim11
02-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Whatever really causes it, back lighting (strong light source behind the subjects) really contributes to it. Change the angle of your composition.
My photo didn't undergo any software enhancement and I intentionally experimented with glaring effect.

Edit: In fact, I could even see the glare when composing, maybe because my camera lens is huge. Can you it those spots through your camera?

venkman
02-23-2006, 07:27 PM
cool thanks for the help. What do you recommend cleaning the lense with?

tim11
02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Wipe the lens with your shirt.......... or just grab a piece of facial tissue, or any soft clothe will do :eek: THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO. Believe it or not, that's what I used to do before taking photography more seriously. Fortunately, there has been no visual damage.
Any camera stores sell lens pen or lens tissues that also come with the fluid. I also have a piece of inexpensive microfiber cloth that you can also buy from supermarket - which is cheaper than from a camera store. Most of the time I just breathe on the lens and use this microfiber material to gently wipe it. Every now and then I use the lens tissue and fluid. NEVER apply strong pressure on the lens.
As for camera body you can just gently clean it with a piece of damp facial tissue.