PDA

View Full Version : *istDS Power lock up Problem

WightWalker
02-18-2006, 03:13 PM
In just about 1 years usage, I experience my first & only power lock up on this camera; the only way to shut down the camera was to remove the battery cover thus removing the power source. I'd previously only ever experienced this with a Fuji 4700.

Anyone had any similar experiences - could this be a feature of v2 operating system as I've just recently upgraded the software.

jeisner
02-18-2006, 08:03 PM
don't know for sure...

I have had v2 firmware on from the day it was released and am yet to have a lock-up...

maybe it was just a freak thing?

astro
02-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Never had that problem either. See if it happens again, and then maybe you can call pentax for servicing.

Ishkabibble
02-19-2006, 06:51 AM
My Pentax too locked up a few times when I first got it. I was using the same cells as I'd used with my old Kodaks - a combination of new and old NiMH. The power read in the camera was still strong, but testing the batteries with my flashlight, only three of the cells would light it to any notable level. I replaced the non-performing cell and have never experienced another lockup.

I've experienced similar issues with two Kodak cameras. On one, my cells had surpassed their life expectancy and needed replacement; on the other, the contacts needed a good cleaning.

I would suggest that one lockup is not yet a problem, but if lockups should continue, look to your power system for probable solutions.

WightWalker
02-19-2006, 02:51 PM
The power read in the camera was still strong, but testing the batteries with my flashlight, only three of the cells would light it to any notable level. I replaced the non-performing cell and have never experienced another lockup.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'd noticed some time back with my old Fuji S602, that not all cells would discharge evenly & one would always discharge fully before the others.

The cells in question are new Fameart 2300mAH that came with the charger - not a make that I am readily familiar with unlike Uniross for example.

It is more than likely just a glitch in the software - let's just hope that it's not as unreliable as a well known WIndows operating system!!

astro
02-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Don't forget the charger too. It plays a greater role on the power capacity than the cells themselves.

usveteran
06-15-2006, 04:13 AM
In just about 1 years usage, I experience my first & only power lock up on this camera; the only way to shut down the camera was to remove the battery cover thus removing the power source. I'd previously only ever experienced this with a Fuji 4700.

Anyone had any similar experiences - could this be a feature of v2 operating system as I've just recently upgraded the software.

Yes, just 2 days ago I experienced the exact same thing. My camera is 8 months old and has about 2000 shots on it. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. I even tried a fresh set a batteries. Mine locked up so bad I had to remove the batteries to shut the camera off. I also upgraded to v2. but that was months ago.

Rhys
06-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Perhaps you need a charger that charges and reconditions cells individually? I bought one after my last charger (a cheapie WalMart job) stopped charging the batteries fully.

usveteran
06-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Everyone seems to think the lockup problem stems from the batteries. I have 2 sets of 4 batteries. The first set I bought with the camera. They are Sanyo (GE). I ran those down until the camera rear screen said, "batteries depleted," as it usally does. Then I loaded a fully charged second set that I bought a couple of months ago. They are Duracell. I took about 40 shots when the lockup occoured.

I suppose it might be the batteries, but I think it's odd that the batteries I bought with the camera (Sanyo) are still in good shape after about 8 months and the new batteries (Duracell) have a bad cell or cells in the lot. Both sets, by the way, were charged on the same charger. That charger is also a Sanyo (GE). It came with the Sanyo batteries.

If this is a battery problem, then how can you tell in advance when your one of the batteries are about to go? Is there some way to test for that, or are you just supposed to wait for another lockup?

Most important, if one battery looses power why don't the "battery depleted" message appear and the camera shut down as it should if it doesn't get enough power?

WightWalker
06-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Quite unnerving - after going around the clock almost twice in terms of images shot, my *istDS suddenly reset to default settings without warning.

The only clue that I had was when the number of images left had increased from 60 (RAW) to near 300 (JPEG).

What caused it - I don't really now other than I accidentally moved the depth of field preview the wrong way i.e. in the direction to turn off the power & the AA batteries were showing low.

I had to scratch my head to remember how to set it back up to my preferred arrangement having left the manual 300 miles away back home.

usveteran
06-21-2006, 07:38 AM
I sent my Pentax in for repairs for the lockup problem. It's under warranty. I'll post the results as soon as it returns (about 2 weeks from today). I hope it's not a battery problem. Rechargable Nhi are expensive and should last at least a year. If one goes bad prematurely out of a group of 4 it would be ashame (and expensive) to replace them all.

WightWalker
06-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Rechargable Nhi are expensive and should last at least a year. If one goes bad prematurely out of a group of 4 it would be ashame (and expensive) to replace them all.
I don't know where you buy Ni-Hi batteries from, but they really aren't that expensive. In the UK I noticed a packet of 4 2500 mA/H at under UK£8 in a local hardware store which, if you shop around, should be cheaper.

I use a set of 3 2300 mA/H cells which I circulate & have had these for well over a year.

I also have 2100 mA/H & 1800mA/H which I use in my wife's Canon A80 & my GPS which are even older & provided that I charge them before use, still last.

Also, if one of the cell's should fail, then they can be still used with other cells - keeping the same mA/H rating for all 4 would be advisable.

usveteran
07-27-2006, 08:11 AM
I finally got my Pentax camera back. They replaced the "power printed circuit board and reclibrated the camera," whatever that means. I'll post an update in a few weeks to let everyone know how the new board is doing. I suggest anyone who has had a power lockup problem to send their camera in and get that circuit board replaced as it is defective. When batteries are low the camera should shut itself off, not lock up, reset, of give you wierd readings.

Good luck to all.