PDA

View Full Version : PowerShot S1-IS Indoor pics not sharp

BC_Grl
10-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I recently bought this camera and I just got a couple of pictures printed professionally. Boy, am I ever dismayed about how the indoor pictures are not sharp. They looked fine when viewing them, so I chose some favourites to print.
Are "dull" or "soft" pictures a problem with this camera? Or is it just me? :)

I am a novice at photography and the lighting I use is a hologen lamp and an incandescant lamp.

Rhys
10-22-2004, 01:52 AM
I recently bought this camera and I just got a couple of pictures printed professionally. Boy, am I ever dismayed about how the indoor pictures are not sharp. They looked fine when viewing them, so I chose some favourites to print.
Are "dull" or "soft" pictures a problem with this camera? Or is it just me? :)

I am a novice at photography and the lighting I use is a hologen lamp and an incandescant lamp.

Ok. Check the focussing, camera shake and whether the firmware is the latest version. Also remember that the S1 is not a close-up camera.

NeoteriX
10-22-2004, 09:42 PM
If they looked fine on your computer -- maybe there's something going on between you and the printer -- maybe you're sending a lower compressed or smaller sized photo to the printer? What company is the printer?

BC_Grl
10-22-2004, 11:25 PM
NeoteriX, I actually didn't download the pictures onto my computer. I viewed them thru the lcd. I took the media card to London Drugs to get them printed.I have an inkjet and wanted a more professional printed picture. The size of the picture is Large (2048x1536), with the compression set to fine..

Rhys (cool name), I haven't checked the firmware yet. I realize this camera is not a close-up camera. But when I purchased it, I told them I was a mom who was taking family pics- both inside and out. And I am not really close to my son when I am taking the pictures, maybe 3 ft from him

I appreciate the help here :)

Rhys
10-23-2004, 08:37 AM
NeoteriX, I actually didn't download the pictures onto my computer. I viewed them thru the lcd. I took the media card to London Drugs to get them printed.I have an inkjet and wanted a more professional printed picture. The size of the picture is Large (2048x1536), with the compression set to fine..

Rhys (cool name), I haven't checked the firmware yet. I realize this camera is not a close-up camera. But when I purchased it, I told them I was a mom who was taking family pics- both inside and out. And I am not really close to my son when I am taking the pictures, maybe 3 ft from him

I appreciate the help here :)

Try putting a picture on a website so we can all look. Maybe when we see the exif information, we'll know what's wring.

BC_Grl
10-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Hello,
I managed to download these onto my desktop. I didn't alter them except to lighten it a bit. It viewed (and printed) with the correct brightness, but downloaded way too dark. I hope the pictures are not too large.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/bc_grl/canonpics.htm

Btw- what is the exif information? Thanks :)