PDA

View Full Version : More resources for the Pentax user

beachluvr
02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
If you never heard of Ken Rockwell, he's a professional photographer who has some very strong opinions. He is a card-carrying Nikon lover (ok I love Nikon pro gear too) and also is a big Canon fan. But he doesn't pull any punches, some people are going to hate his opinions. That's ok, some people hate my opinions too :rolleyes:

Ken talks Pentax at his website, and it's always good to get "pro" AND "con" opinions when considering anything.

With credit to Ken (after all I am mentioning his site), here's a quote that some of you may enjoy:

"In case you're not familiar with Pentax, just remember that Ansel Adams used their exposure meters just as I do for my most serious work. Pentax are very well known in professional circles for their huge line of medium format cameras. On the other hand, Nikon and Canon make no professional format cameras nor any light meters at all. Enough said."

--------------

~Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger~

jeisner
02-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Please Ken Rockwell is a fanboy twit.. He does reviews of cameras he has never even held let alone used (although he does admit that)... His 'review' of the ist DS was so FULL of factual errors, it shows what a fanboy he is... He couldn't even be bothered doing a little research before writing his 'hands off' review...

Although he did change much of it when his email address got slammed with abuse.. The extent of the changes he had to make was just shamefull IMO...

coldrain
02-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Please Ken Rockwell is a fanboy twit.. He does reviews of cameras he has never even held let alone used (although he does admit that)... His 'review' of the ist DS was so FULL of factual errors, it shows what a fanboy he is... He couldn't even be bothered doing a little research before writing his 'hands off' review...

Although he did change much of it when his email address got slammed with abuse.. The extent of the changes he had to make was just shamefull IMO...
Mr. Rockwell is a rather odd character indeed, isn't he? Not sure what motivates him... A shame a lot of people take him serious. Funny to see someone claim Ken is a Canon fan ;).

I see you have both the D and the DS, does the D have any advantages to you still?

beachluvr
02-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Mr. Rockwell is a rather odd character indeed, isn't he? Not sure what motivates him... A shame a lot of people take him serious. Funny to see someone claim Ken is a Canon fan ;).

His review of the D70s vs 20D gives almost exactly equal points to both. In his own words "If you already own autofocus lenses and accessories for the Nikon or Canon systems just get the camera of that brand, end of story. I'm serious here: the two cameras are so similar that it makes no sense to change from one brand to the other unless you really want to change brands or have a real fetish about one feature or another."

jeisner
02-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I see you have both the D and the DS, does the D have any advantages to you still?

Hell yeah ;-)

I gave the DS to my girlfriend (I bought the D after the DS)

The D has some definate advantages..

- The AF is much faster than the DS.
- Portrait/Battery grip available.
- Full external switch controls, (not through buttons and menus. ie metering mode, focus mode, focus type etc)
- The shutter mechanism is very quiet, DS is louder..
- It has hyperprogram like some of the better Pentax film cameras.
- The top LCD is backlit.
- Wireless flash control..
- Basically it is a much more professional camera than the DS.. It is not Pro like a 5d or 1dmkII or anything, maybe more akin to the 20d versus the 350d?

It has some disadvantages too but not a big enought deal to bother me.

- The screen is small like the one on my friends 20d
- Slower buffer when writing RAW files, not enough to miss shots, but noticable if you take a string of RAW images and want to review them immediately..
- The Dpad control on the back isn't as nice to use as the DS one.

Although to be honest I would love a camera with the advantages of the two combined, I wouldn't care if it was still the same sensor.. I like Pentax first and foremost due to their lenses, then the camera, though the D is a high quality photographic tool IMO...