PDA

View Full Version : Optical Image Stabilizer Setting

cheemoon
10-21-2004, 07:29 AM
I need some advise on the above subject. Should the OIS setting be turned on at all time for FZ10? What mode should it be set to if so? If I can recall correctly, the OIS should be turned off or set to Mode2 when camera is mounted on tri-pod, right?

Thanks.

-cheemoon

wmussatto
10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
I need some advise on the above subject. Should the OIS setting be turned on at all time for FZ10? What mode should it be set to if so? If I can recall correctly, the OIS should be turned off or set to Mode2 when camera is mounted on tri-pod, right?

Thanks.

-cheemoon
Based on my experience with the FZ-20, normally you would want it in Mode 2, this does not appear to hurt when its on a tripod (althought turning it off would be better since the tripod is not going to move). Mode 2 activates only when the picture is actually being taken so the system can damp larger movement (it starts in the center). I think Mode 1 would be useful only if you are having trouble focusing. I leave it in mode 2 all the time, but I'm just starting out.
Bill

genece
10-21-2004, 04:02 PM
I use mode 2 all the time.
People that like to manual focus use mode 1 as it helps shake as you are focusing.
Mode 1 does not work well for long exposures on a tripod.

Nytmair
10-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I don't own one of these yet, but I think it's going to be my next camera... and using it the store mode 1 definately made it easier to focus, but i haven't had much time to compare 1 and 2 with each other however...

-Dan

John_Reed
10-21-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't own one of these yet, but I think it's going to be my next camera... and using it the store mode 1 definately made it easier to focus, but i haven't had much time to compare 1 and 2 with each other however...

-DanI used to use my FZ10 in mode 1 all the time, which seemed to help me stabilize the image I was framing, and the shots seemed OK too. But I started to use mode 2, and even though it makes the display frame jiggle a lot more (and I often use the camera at full zoom with an added 1.6X telephoto extender), the captures seem to be sharper. Hard to get scientific about it, but many people on the dpreview forum seem to vastly prefer mode 2.

Nytmair
10-21-2004, 06:43 PM
thanks for the info :)

cheemoon
10-24-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks to all your valuable advices on OIS setting.

Regards
cheemoon

judge9847
10-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Thanks to all your valuable advices on OIS setting.
Like John I used Mode 1 on my FZ10 all the while when I first got it and then moved to Mode 2 - I just found it that much better to use and it seems to give better results. I have found though that using either when the camera is mounted and steady does affect the image. It seems to me that the OIS is expecting to compensate for something so it does just that and the result is that photos aren't so sharp or clear. So if it's mounted I turn the OIS off and I just feel that the results are better for it.

I've also taken to turning the OIS off when I feel the zoom isn't really being "challenged", i.e at up to 6X or thereabouts. Again, I feel the camera produces better results for not having to be concerned about OIS and the Leica lens really shouldn't be troubled at that sort of range, stabilised or not. So I don't stablise it. That's just me and I'll fully accept that others will see it differently. But that's my tuppence worth and I hope it adds to the debate. :)

propwash
10-25-2004, 08:04 AM
I agree with Bob. I normally keep mine on mode 2, unless I'm using a tripod, and then I turn it off. If at all possible, use the self timer when you are using a tripod. That way, there will be no camera movement when you trip the shutter.