PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide on a digital slr?

newmancourtney
02-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi,
I have a question to whomever can help.I'm currently taking classes
with NYIP and hope to be through by the early part of the summer.My
question has to do with choosing a digital SLR.I am currently looking for a
camera that I will be able to take people portraits with mainly
children.I want a camera that will give me superb tonal range i want my
pictures to be as sharp and real life as they can get.So basically I want a
digital SLR that shoots great portraits.I don't want to spend a fortune
since it is my first digital SLR but I want one to give me the images
that I'm hoping for.Also I will be doing allot of my pictures outdoors so
I want to be able to see the monitor really well.Any help would be much
appreciated,I've looked at so many websites and forums but none really
suggest a certain camera for exactly what I want to do.

Thanks,
Courtney:)

coldrain
02-03-2006, 02:58 PM
You are aware that with the now available DSLR's you can not use the LCD screen to make photos, only to view made photos?

For portraits that are sharp and nice, you should get a camera like the Canon 350D/XT or Nikon D50, and get a 85mm single focal point lens, and a 50mm single focal point lens. This will ensure really sharp photos, with the possibility to get the bacground just as blurry as you want it.

Pancho Urbano
02-03-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm having the same quandry right now - mostly driven by price. D50 now available with kit lens for about $600. Pentax is just a few dollars less. wondering about the key differences in terms of quality, feel, and image rather than specs (which are rehashed everywhere), and thus I'm seeking a bit more of a subjective opinion on the dSLRs (Especially Nikon vs. Pentax - at same price point)

-pu

Jason25
02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm having the same quandry right now - mostly driven by price. D50 now available with kit lens for about $600. Pentax is just a few dollars less. wondering about the key differences in terms of quality, feel, and image rather than specs (which are rehashed everywhere), and thus I'm seeking a bit more of a subjective opinion on the dSLRs (Especially Nikon vs. Pentax - at same price point)

-pu
You'll get better high-ISO performance from the D50, a wider selection of lenses, and a pro-quality upgrade path. The Pentax is a nice camera as well, with smaller size, and lower lens costs. It all depends on what you want, and how deep you're willing to go!

beachluvr
02-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

Hey Courtney

No specific brand of DSLR will be better or worse for what you described, they are all good. You didn't say exactly what your end product will be, if it is mainly for learning your craft at NYIP or making money in the trade. For learning on a budget it would be very hard to go wrong with the Nikon D50 at it's current price of $600 or less with a basic zoom lens. If you are looking to sell your work, do some serious research into the photo submission guidelines of various publications ... many will absolutely refuse any digital stuff. DSLR's can look really nice to the untrained eye but are nowhere near publications standards which are looking for medium-format to 4 x 5 transparencies as a minimum. Good luck, photography can be a richly rewarding career.

jeisner
02-04-2006, 02:37 AM

-pu

I am not sure exactly what you want? The Nikon users will tell you they like the features of the nikon better and the Pentax users will say they like the featres of the Pentax better...

I would say I prefer the Pentax though both have a decent range of quality ASP-C specific lenses available (9 for pentax vs 7 for nikon) with 3 more for pentax coming at PMA (and I am sure nikon will have more too)... However DOF preview is an important feature for me. As is a decently sized viewfinder, Mirror lock up, ISO 3200, 210,000 pixel LCD (versus 130,000) AA battery support and 100% backwards compatability for lenses and even TTL flashes...

But remember this is all subjective, your needs/wants may vary to mine and others...

To the original poster for shooting portraits, all the current crop of DSLRs would do.. I think the lens is more important to you... As coldrain suggested you want a good sharp 50mm/1.4 or something similar, and all systems have that... If you consider Pentax have a look at the limited series, the 77/1.8 will blow you away I'm sure...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml

D70FAN
02-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

No camera can shoot great portraits, but a good photographer can. As for the camera? Whatever suits your fancy ergonomically. The advantage to Canon and Nikon is the selection of lenses both new and used. The key is lenses, lenses, lenses. Coldrains lens suggestions will work fine, as starters. For better tonal range shoot in RAW (all dSLR's can do this).

Don't go by the web chatter on dSLR's except for the professional reviews, as we are all biased to some degree, and have very little (or no) long term experiance outside of what we own. Don't get hung up on megapixels or goofy features. Be concerned with ergonomics, basic manual operations, and if this is a planned career, an upgrade path for professional use. Oh and did I mention lenses?

Go out and try them yourself. The one you pick is the best one.;)