PDA

View Full Version : EOS 20D 17-85mm EF-S lens

hkrautter
10-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Is there a problem with the 17-85 EF-S lens? There definitely appears to be an availability problem. I thought I read that there was a problem with Chromatic Abberations. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks,

Henry

LeeJ
11-02-2004, 05:18 AM
I have one and it is OK except for CA which is
not acceptable. It makes the lens a fine point and shoot lens, but not good for serious photography.
The Tamron 17-35 and Canon 17-40 are both
much better. (I have tried all three on same scene)

LoveOfSelene
11-02-2004, 05:13 PM
I have one and it is OK except for CA which is
not acceptable. It makes the lens a fine point and shoot lens, but not good for serious photography.
The Tamron 17-35 and Canon 17-40 are both
much better. (I have tried all three on same scene)

Could you post some example's pictures of the 17-85 lens?

Im planing to get the 20d w/ the kit..but after reading some things on forums about it i maybe won't.

~Loveofselene

hkrautter
11-06-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm also planning on getting the 20D. I'm also looking at the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and the Sigma 18-125mm. Seem like they may be better than the Canon choices as every day lenses.

Henry

Could you post some example's pictures of the 17-85 lens?

Im planing to get the 20d w/ the kit..but after reading some things on forums about it i maybe won't.

~Loveofselene

Howard Gabbert
11-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Here are a bunch of them I used it extensively on a recent trip to South America. The 17-85mm is an excellent walking around lens. I also had with me the Canon 16-35mm (L); the Tamron XR 28-300; and the Canon 50mm f/1.4. I mostly used the new EF-S.

Samples are here: http://corky-g.smugmug.com/

mpop2002
11-25-2004, 08:50 PM
As far as i have heard, i have used the 17-85 Ef-s Lens and have had zero problems with CA or had any imaging problems, this is the first i have heard of this problem and it is probably plaguing the first series of EF-S 17-85 Lenses, if you have a serious problem you can return it and get another, if it is a real problem ,canon is undoubtably working on it, but i have had zero problems with my lens up to date, so i do not see any reason why this lens is not a great lens.

Howard Gabbert
12-18-2004, 08:23 AM
I have not noted any - and have used this lens extensively as a general purpose lens.

But, note that I always use a UV (0) filter on it. I generally shoot in P Mode at ISO 400.

hkrautter
12-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. After much searching and looking into the Tamron and Sigma similar lenses, I went with the sure bet the Canon 17-40L. It's not that much more money and there's plenty of agreement that it's a great lens. As far as the Tamron and Sigma similar lenses, the general opinion was that they are similar to the 17-40L and I would be happy with them. In the end I went with the people that told me the other lenses work, but that Canon cameras work best with Canon lenses.

Henry

tedsherman
12-27-2004, 06:44 PM
I have a general question: I'm researching Canon EOS systems--specifically the Digital Rebel and the 20d--and before I make any purchase I want to make sure that any Sigma lens I get will be completely compatible with the Canon. Are all Sigma lenses compatible with the Canons?

I've seen several packages offered--with short focal length and long focal length Sigma zooms--but I'm unsure as to whether these lenses with all the Canons' electronics (AF, TTL, etc.).

Any comments? I've read all the reviews for these cameras (as well as the Nikon D70) at dcresource, steve's digicams, and two or three other sites (recommended by MacWorld).

Ted

eagle17
12-28-2004, 10:57 AM
many of the older sigma lenses have needed to be retrofitted with new chips in order to work with digital canons. If you are looking at packaged deals for short focal length I would heavily recomend the sigma 18-125DC it is designed for digital cameras and is very light and pretty sharp, easiliy as good or better than the 18-55 kit lens. (actually better in terms of quality.)

pfs
02-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I have been using a Sigma 28-105 and a 135-400 with the Elan 7. I sent off a note to Sigma asking if they knew of any reason why those lenses would not work with the 20D. I received not one, but two responses stating that any Sigma lense that works on the Elan will work on the 20D. Placing my faith in this response, I purchased the 20D. Sure enough, both lenses work with it and I love the camera.

Except.

The shutter will not work on either lense when the lense is at its shortest focal length. For example, the 28-205 will not work at the 28mm focal length and needs to be at about 35mm before the shutter will work. I have been using the camera for less than a week so there may be something that I am missing.

I am also using a Canon 18-55 and there is no problem.

Anybody seen or heard of this?

BobbyT
02-17-2005, 05:43 AM
This is an excellent, general purpose, lens. Though a little slow the IS really expands it's capability. On a low noise camera like the 20D it's even better.

Bob McGowan
03-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for your comments on that!
I just recently got the older version of the Sigma 17-35 EX Lens. I had difficulty getting really sharp focus with it. I discovered after that the new version "DG" lens is sharper. However, I've just bought a very new out Sigma 17-50 EX DC lens and am having problems getting sharp focus with this one now! I've only had the 300D for a week so I'm getting a bit worried about lenses on this camera. Maybe I have a camera problem. I'm taking the shots at 1/100th of a second so I expect it to be sharp?

Bob

BobbyT
03-10-2005, 07:27 AM
There is some chromatic abberation using the lens at 17mm and wide open, but no worse than most other wide angle lenses. It's easily taken care of with PS. An excellent lens. :)