PDA

View Full Version : Which Flash?

Scorpion
01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Just wondering. Which flash would be best to go with? The FL50 or FL36? Most of my shooting where I will need the flash will be in an average size house. There will be times when I will be shooting outdoors and indoors where the subject could easily be as far away as 60 - 70 + feet. Would the FL50 be able to accomadate that? Would the FL50 be over powering for indoor shooting?

speaklightly
01-27-2006, 06:15 PM
scorpion-

I am using the Olympus FL-50 flash with my Olympus E-500 and I am very happy with the photos. The maximum range that I have shot at is 30 feet, although I believe the range could be extended to around 40 feet.

Speaklightly

Norm in Fujino
01-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Well, the FL-50 is the best, by far, but it depends on your needs. If you'll be doing much shooting at distance, then go for it. I love mine, but it's not cheap. More importantly, no matter which one you get, you need to learn to bounce it or use a diffuser, since it will produce much more pleasant results than straight-on (unless you simply prefer the straight-on look).

penz
02-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Are there any other flashes that would work with the E500? I find mostly Metz around here but I don't want to fry the inards of my camera with a high volt flash. I was looking at the FL36 but the shop was sold out and the FL50 is a little on the expensive side.

DMSP33
02-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I believe that you can use pretty much any flash that will fit on your shoe, but it will not be a dedicated flash, meaning you would have to use manually setting, it wouldn’t talk with your camera for the setting, but if you know how to use a flash then I herd sigma do a good flash that wont break the bank.

Hope that helps