PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot S1 Image Stab problem?

Tc7
10-19-2004, 04:55 PM
i used to take superb pics of wildlife using my Canon Powershot S1 IS and zooming in close.

However, on Saturday, I had one chance (it`s all you get) to capture a squirrel on a log, zoomed in, pressed to focas and fully pressed. It looked fine whilst taking. The picture was blurred! The squirrel pic was poor!

1/10 and F3.1 was auto selected and the flash was off. The I.S was on!

I am having doubts now about the I.S fascility. When I press it to `on` a slight thump is felt/heard within the camera. Is this normal? I`ve tried taking pics with IS on and off but I can`t really see a difference. The camera shake symbol is on a lot and pressing the IS makes little difference.

Is there a way I can tst the IS function so I can rule that out as the reason for my blurry squirrel?

Help please.

Tc

NeoteriX
10-19-2004, 05:44 PM
My IS works normally and there is the "thump" you can feel in the camera.

You can take a video of something and turn on and off the IS -- you should be able to clearly see the difference in video.

IS is not a miracle worker and will not magically result in crystal clear photos. What it does do is allow you to take pictures a couple fstops faster. 1/10 shutter speed is quite low, so I'm guessing it was in the evening or something.

This results in two possible factors -- one, the camera had trouble autofocusing in the poor light conditions. Two, the image was blurry due to image shake.

In either case, the camera is not ideally suited to shot great shots instantly in such conditions.

Rhys
10-19-2004, 06:41 PM
My IS works normally and there is the "thump" you can feel in the camera.

You can take a video of something and turn on and off the IS -- you should be able to clearly see the difference in video.

IS is not a miracle worker and will not magically result in crystal clear photos. What it does do is allow you to take pictures a couple fstops faster. 1/10 shutter speed is quite low, so I'm guessing it was in the evening or something.

This results in two possible factors -- one, the camera had trouble autofocusing in the poor light conditions. Two, the image was blurry due to image shake.

In either case, the camera is not ideally suited to shot great shots instantly in such conditions.

In dimming light - light that would have allowed an adequate exposure, the AF doesn't work that well. I had to use MF the other day.

Tc7
10-20-2004, 02:40 AM
Thanks for your replys. You`re far more helpfuk than the dappy helpline I called!

I tried movie mode using IS and not using IS and IS made a difference meaning IS is prob OK.

The pic looked crisp in the view finder - I can only think I moved slightly on both shots (I pull off two).

Here is what I`m used to taking (http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421567170/0.jpg)

The blurry squirrel photo (http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421567170/1.jpg)

Thanks again...

Tc