PDA

View Full Version : Canon Powershot Pro1 vs 300D

jroztocil
10-18-2004, 11:49 PM
I am looking at Pro1 as a middle ground between the 300D Rebel and the G6. The problem is that I don't see too many folks talking about the Pro1. The pic samples at some of the various sites just look darn good to my eyes. Is it not as popular just because it is close enough to the Rebel (price-wise) that most feel it is worth the jump?

My needs tend to be more pro-sumer but I crave the feel of my old 35mm SLR (Minolta X-700) in a dig.

The 300D seems to have a lower noise vs. ISO then either of the other two but is it worth the additional investment? I'm hoping that some of the DSLR users could comment.

Thanks for any constructive advice anyone might offer.

jamison55
10-19-2004, 06:26 AM
In a word - yes! I personally don't see much of an advantage of the Pro 1 over the G6, so for $300 less the G6 would get my money (even with less of a zoom range), if I were looking for a full featured all-in-one digicam.

The DReb, on the other hand, is a huge leap up in image quality for about the same price as the Pro 1 (there is a $100 rebate on the DReb presently, making it even cheaper than the Pro 1). The only thing to keep in mind is that the DReb is a true SLR with all of the advantages and disadvantages.

As an experienced SLR user the DReb will probably feel more like a real camera, and against the Pro 1 in terms of image quality and price, it is a no-brainer!

D70FAN
10-19-2004, 07:38 PM
I am looking at Pro1 as a middle ground between the 300D Rebel and the G6. The problem is that I don't see too many folks talking about the Pro1. The pic samples at some of the various sites just look darn good to my eyes. Is it not as popular just because it is close enough to the Rebel (price-wise) that most feel it is worth the jump?

My needs tend to be more pro-sumer but I crave the feel of my old 35mm SLR (Minolta X-700) in a dig.

The 300D seems to have a lower noise vs. ISO then either of the other two but is it worth the additional investment? I'm hoping that some of the DSLR users could comment.

Thanks for any constructive advice anyone might offer.

As usual I second Jamisons recomendation. The 300D is a great starter dSLR. Just for giggles you might want to look at the Nikon D70.