PDA

View Full Version : Do I want a dx7590?!

jvan
10-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Ok, I thought I had found the camera for me. The Kodak dx7590 seems to be just what I want, but looking around at what other people have to say makes me doubt myself. I thought I would turn to some people who have Kodak digital cameras and maybe some of you even have the dx7590. Here it is:
1. I want a camera that takes good pictures (of coarse)-true to life.
2. Easy to use (I do everything in auto, I am not a camera profesional)
3. I want one that takes good action shots (I have a daughter that runs) and one you don't have to wait long in between shots (I don't know what you would call it, I told you I am no profesional)
4. Last thing is everyone seems to be talking about dx7590 not having image stabilization, like I said before I am no profesional, does this make a big difference how your pictures turn out?
I would appreciate any help anyone would provide. I thought I had decided on getting this camera but just not sure anymore. Please Help!! I just want to get the best I can for the money I have to spend and not wish I had purchased something different. Thats why I am asking all the questions before I buy.
Thanks again, jvan :)

D70FAN
10-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Ok, I thought I had found the camera for me. The Kodak dx7590 seems to be just what I want, but looking around at what other people have to say makes me doubt myself. I thought I would turn to some people who have Kodak digital cameras and maybe some of you even have the dx7590. Here it is:
1. I want a camera that takes good pictures (of coarse)-true to life.
2. Easy to use (I do everything in auto, I am not a camera profesional)
3. I want one that takes good action shots (I have a daughter that runs) and one you don't have to wait long in between shots (I don't know what you would call it, I told you I am no profesional)
4. Last thing is everyone seems to be talking about dx7590 not having image stabilization, like I said before I am no profesional, does this make a big difference how your pictures turn out?
I would appreciate any help anyone would provide. I thought I had decided on getting this camera but just not sure anymore. Please Help!! I just want to get the best I can for the money I have to spend and not wish I had purchased something different. Thats why I am asking all the questions before I buy.
Thanks again, jvan :)

At focal lengths above 105mm (about 3X-4X) image stabilization is important. The final decision is up to you. I assume that you are looking at the Panasonics (FZ series) in comparison. If a freind of mine asked which to chose I would have to say the Panasonics. Try the cameras and then decide what you like.

John_Reed
10-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks again, jvan :)The very fact that you are "no professional" makes you a stronger candidate for image stabilization. In the hands of a true professional, who knows from years of experience how to stabilize a camera for the best shot, and for whom carrying and using a tripod is no big deal when it's needed, probably the 7590 would show up pretty well; from what I've heard about its colors, it would certainly be a candidate. On the other hand, for those of us who are not professionals, there'll be a lot of shots taken with an un-stabilized long-zoom camera that will be too blurry to keep. The stabilizer will save many of those, and raise your "hit rate," actually covering for your "amateur" status. Just as an example, with the 7590, you'd run the risk of blurriness at full zoom for any shutter speed lower than about 1/400 of a second; with my stabilized FZ10, I've gotten sharp results at shutter speeds of 1/25 of a second and below. That would be the benefit of image stabilization for you.

npphotog
10-19-2004, 04:12 AM
Good Morning - I looked the 7590 during a trip to Best Buy and I found that looking thru the finder everything seemed grainy. I also thought that with the extreme zoom I could not hold it steady enough at slow speeds. I am a retired news photog and I did not want to spend bunch of bucks on a camera since I am not making money with it (nor do I want to get back into that rat race again). I picked the DX7440 and have been really pleased with it. I can use it as a point and shoot or it has so many options. I can set it on manual and use it like a normal camera (f stops, shutter speed options and ISO settings) As far as the 4x zoom - if that's not enough, move closer.
Having a ball with the 7440 - it works for me. And I like the viewfinder - somewhat like my old Leica's, yet small enough to fit into my pants pocket.
Willard
p.s. What I did not like was with the 7590 the finder goes blank after you shoot the photo - that's bad news.

jvan
10-19-2004, 06:07 AM
Thanks to all who are taking the time to help make my decision easier. It does sound like I need image stabilization, so maybe I do need to look at a different camera.
Thanks again- jvan :)

Atindra
10-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I have 6490, 7590 is faster and better than it. I dont think Image stabilization is a must feature. If your hands are trained once to be steady, you wont always need image stabilization. If you are looking for ease, great quality colors. I would advise you to go for dx 7590 other than any. However FZ20 is not a bad choice. If you can, once visit dpreview.com, kodak talk forum to see the great pics taken with that camera. I dont think noise is ever an issue with 7590.
Atindra

Atindra
10-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Dear Jvan
You might have read all the relavant reviews. Kodak gives you better resolution on LCD, and EVF(electronic viewfineder, an eyepiece), LCD is larger to see picture better and clearer. Both LCD and EVF gain up in low-light to make focus easy. Kodak colors are superb and that is true with all kodak's model. This camera is one of the most easy to use, for example its automode(where ISO, whitebalance, apreture, shutter speed everything is automatically set) is most versatile and very easy for any non-professional to start with. You dont need to refer even manual to use its auto mode. Indoor&outdoor shooting is fine with it. Low light shots are also very nice.
It has higher resolution video mode.
Few things you may not find on 7590 are, full manual control over focus, AF assist lamp (however it has good AF capabilities in low light, that means it has other AF assist mechanism), Image stabilization (this is most popular modern feature, but if you have steady hands, which I practiced within few months,you really dont always need Image stabilization), it is new technology with limited efficiency and as many other technologies being evaluated continuously.
I think this much info is enough for you.

jvan
10-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Ok, After the last 2 replys the dx750 is back to being my choice. Thanks Atindra. I really think I will love this camera. I will look at dpreview. com, but it seems the more I look the more confused I get. I just want a camera that will take good pictures and is easy to use, and that image stabilization thing, it sounds real good but I'm sure my old Sony digital camera doesn't have it and it takes pretty good pictures. Its the Sony dsc-s70, I have had it for about 3 or 4 yrs, whenever it first came out. Its time to update! Sony really doesn't have a camera I like w/the large zoom. I like this Kodak. The other one I was thinking about was the Olympus c-765/c-770.
Thanks again to all who are taking the time to help!!! jvan :)

Atindra
10-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Hi Jvan
thanks for considering my advise. for your choice there are few good cameras available in the market. I had a preferrence for Kodak's image quality over others and therefore I bought it. Its prices are now really reasonable, and you can consider some nice accessories like tripod, filters, telephoto/wide angle lenses etc.
You can see my images at
http://photobucket.com/albums/v398/Atindra/
apart from main page there are 4 different album also you can find there.
and few more pics at,
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=10171

Frenchy
10-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi all...

France comes in the place...

I have the 7590 since few weeks but shoot a lot with it to improve it asap to eventually return it if not good... I keep it for sure! ;)

Just like you I was newbie for photo... I wanted a simple device with a big zoom and "low" price... quickly my choise was reduced to Konica Z3 and Kodak DX7590...
Since the moment I looked to forum about Z3 and it's problems and since I had it in hand (thought that it was a fake one just to show... ) my choise was done... even with the better fonction of the Z3 like x12 zoom, super macro, and stabilisation...

The Kodak is a very nice devise... look strong with solid parts and smooth commands... a very good fabrication quality... It is very easy to use, very clear and important fonctions are enough quit to find...

My use is for the most fishing photos, so in the same time : landscape, animal (from the boat > zoom), and also family use...

My fisrt try was to improve zoom whithout any stabilisation... devise glued to the face, maximum zoom, even with a very cloundy wheather, full automatique... if you are steady you can take perfect piktures! :cool:
To be sure, for the moment, I take 2 or 3 and make a choice after... in fact the automatique menu take itself a good speed that compensate no stabilisation... I had good photo of mountain and some building roof (100m far away...) at maximum zoom...

For sure speed decreases as luminosity but even with stabilisation, there is a no return point that need a foot/tripod for longer pause time... And for the most, if you want to make some special good photo (long depth of field /not sure of the expression/ or less luminosity...) you need a tripod whatever is the devise... so personnally I bought a micro tripod/foot (can have it in the pocket) with is very usefull for some manuel fonction photos...

I have not it since a long time... never used manual fonction before on a camera... did not know anything of pause time, speed, focal, whatever that looked chineese for me and yesterday I took a picture of my dog with all manual mode, f8, 1sec pause, ISO 100 with the tripod indoor at night whithout flash, just house lighting... my dog at the first foreground (50cm) is as clear as the wall 6m far away and the photo is enough illuminated... If someone told me that I could take such a picture one month ago!...

Be careful... The DX7590 will contaminate you! :p

Vincent.

Atindra
10-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi vincent,
Would love to see your photos, please post them here if you dont mind.
Atindra

Frenchy
10-22-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi Atindra...

Well... hum... these are really firts photos of a beginer... nothing like art for the moment... just samples to learn about the 7590! :rolleyes:

Vincent.
< for the most, arround: 5s, 80ISO, 38mm, f8... >

Atindra
10-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Thanks Vincent,
Very nice shots. thanks for sharing again. How intuitive 7590 you find? I think last two shots have warmer colors, how did you induce them?
Atindra

Frenchy
10-23-2004, 02:19 AM
Well... 7590 must be very intuitive since I can take good picture with it! :D

Seriously it is very very easy to use...
I made any modification on the photos... in fact this is colors in my house witch are warm... ;)

Other ewemples:

Vincent.

Atindra
10-24-2004, 02:37 AM
Vincent,
Nice shots, the red flower looks little blurred, did you use tripod? You learnt immediately the art of shooting Macros.
Atindra

Frenchy
10-25-2004, 02:59 AM
I did not have the tripod at this time (bought little one recently...). In fact this is particularly the depth of field which is in question, I think... when I look to the full sise original picture, the flower at right is very clear...

Here comes my last... took yesterday... my favorites subjects! Many shining colors... ;)

Vincent.
< had to crop them to preserve some quality... >

Atindra
10-25-2004, 05:48 AM
Nice shots again. All the best.
Atindra

Frenchy
10-25-2004, 06:01 AM
What is interesting in fish pictures is the colors multiplication... some of them exploded my personal files size record: up to 3.5Mb! :D

Vincent.
< here you can find full size: http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=10479 >