PDA

View Full Version : Shooting without caps...

erichlund
01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Does anybody shoot without lens caps? By that, I mean, at the beginning of the shoot, take all the caps off, but the lenses in the bag without caps, and just make a quick check before swapping a lens onto the camera to check for dust and fingerprints? I find it a real pain changing lenses because I don't have enough hands to deal with all the lens caps, but do you guys just deal with it, or do you just clean them at the end of the day and restore all the caps before putting them away?

I should say, I haven't tried this, and I'm sure I've occasionally missed a photo because it was too much trouble to swap lenses or to transient an opportunity that dealing with the caps meant I would miss the shot anyway.

Cheers,
Eric

ktixx
01-16-2006, 05:02 PM
I really think that is a bad idea. Lens caps (front and back) are there for one reason, to protect the glass. Dust, and scratches will be inevitable if you leave you lenses unprotected in your bag. Again, Lens caps are there to protect, if you didn't need them, the manufacturer woudn't include them. JMO
Ken

Quirkitized
01-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I always use my caps to cover the lens. Front and back. I'll be damned if I spend all this money just to let 10 seconds ruin my new hobby. Pictures last a lifetime right, well without a lens in good shape you can't take a picture ;)

Norm in Fujino
01-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Does anybody shoot without lens caps? By that, I mean, at the beginning of the shoot, take all the caps off, but the lenses in the bag without caps, and just make a quick check before swapping a lens onto the camera to check for dust and fingerprints?

I don't do exactly that, but something similar, I guess. When I start out on a walk, my lenses have all the caps on, since I don't know what I'm going to use. If I find I need to swap out a lens, I always replace the rear element cap (I'm not entirely stupid :eek: ), but then I place the lens facing down it in the camera bag with the lens hood still attached. That provides a good deal of protection (probably as much or more than it would have mounted on the camera). I shoot 100% with lens hoods attached, so it's not a hassle in that sense. I would never leave a lens in the bag with the rear element exposed--too much danger, and too much chance of dust entering that way since the element moves.

VetteD50
01-18-2006, 04:06 AM
I have a 28-80 lens with a 2x converter that I consider my "walk around" lens.

I generally take this setup everywhere. Unless I am headed to work, It is around my neck even when I am driving, ready at seconds' notice.

I keep the front cap off.

If I need to swap to my other lenses, I cap any and every lens I place into my bag. Just good practice to protect a big investment. It's a PITA, but in the long run it's the best thing to do.

Just my .02

ReF
01-20-2006, 06:49 AM
i regularly shoot in areas where sand can and has mysteriously gotten in the bag, so this is a major no-no for me. i occasionally left the caps off the canon 70-200 f4 and tamron 28-75 f2.8 when the hoods were attached (like norm does) but i no longer use these lenses. leaving the caps off and the hoods on actually slowed me down sometimes, because i'd mix up the lens caps for the other lenses and end losing time fumbling for the right one. the 17-40 L's hood is way too wide for the bag, the sigma 15mm's built in hood is too short, and the 70-200 f2.8/400 f5.6 stick out of the bag when the hood is attached/extended, so now i always have the cap on when the lens is in the bag. the extender is a different story.

in my own experience i don't think i've missed a shot from having to remove the lens cap - since i just keep it in my pocket and it's quick and easy to get to. i attribute the occasional missed shot to lens switching though - a second body with lens attached would definately help in many situations but that's not exactly a cheap route.

erichlund
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
I should mention: this is certainly not something I've ever done. I can see from others ideas here, that it would probably not be a great idea as a general practice. Now, if I new I were going to be swapping two lenses all day, the idea of the lens hood and back cap, with the front cap off (and a clean bag) would probably be acceptable, but only if there were a real need for "timely" swapping.

Which reminds me, I still need to get lens hoods for my primes, the 35, 50 and 55. They don't come with hoods. The 18-70 did come with a hood.