PDA

View Full Version : Time lapse photos

Aleck
07-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Any one know of software to control digital cam via computer to take pics at set intervals and save to hard drive?
These can then be assembled into a movie to show speeded up events. e.g. clouds passing, flowers opening.

kgosden
07-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I do not know of any computer based systems for this with point and shoot consumer cameras. It is possible to create your own with some Olympus cameras as there is a developer's SDK kit available from Olympus that allows you to create programs for some of their cameras.

However, several cameras have started to include intervalometers (time lapse) modes. One of the first that comes to mind is the Pentax Optio 43WR. Since it is fairly water resistant (hence the WR) it can even be setup outside for a decent duration. I believe a few others offer this feature including the Canon Power Shot ProS1 and the Nikon CoolPix 8700 (I bet there are others).

Aleck
07-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Thanks for your info, I'll pursue your suggestions.
this is another question to ask when purchasing your next cam and maybe needs adding to the features list in Mag reviews!

Puck
07-29-2004, 09:58 AM
My old Epson 3000z has this feature which Epson calls "interval shooting". It will take pictures at intervals of 10 seconds to 24 hours and continue until you fill up the memory card or run out of battery. The camera turns off after the first picture, waits the selected interval, powers on again and takes the next picture. It's not a feature I've seen on many cameras, probably with good reason. Not many folks would have need for it!

John_Reed
07-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Any one know of software to control digital cam via computer to take pics at set intervals and save to hard drive?
These can then be assembled into a movie to show speeded up events. e.g. clouds passing, flowers opening.
The MC-EU1 remote cable for the Nikon CoolPix cameras has an "Intervalometer" function that lets you control the camera to take photos at a specified interval within a specified period.

ruben
08-04-2004, 08:51 AM
A Program called Remote Witness I think does that. But I think it works with webcams, not sure about digital cameras.

http://www.concealedcameras.com/catalogue/rw/rw_software.html

I have played with it before, it is great for motion detection recording. If i remember correctly it has time lapse recording capabilities.

Regards.