PDA

View Full Version : auditorium pictures

sbebenelli
01-13-2006, 07:06 AM
I just recently bought the Sony H-1. Last night my daughter had a concert I went to at her school auditorium. They did have the lights on so it was as bright as possible in an auditorium. We had to sit back aways so I had to use alot of the 12x zoom. I took alot of pictures and tried all different camera settings. The only pictures that came out clear are ones that are darker. The lighter one's are blurry. I realize if I could have used a tripod and I think I could have gotten some really nice pictures with no blur. Sometimes having a tripod isn't an option. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is this the way digital cameras are in lower light or are there cameras that handle low light better than others?

2. Are cameras that take film better in low light than digital?

Norm in Fujino
01-13-2006, 08:11 AM
1. Is this the way digital cameras are in lower light or are there cameras that handle low light better than others?

All cameras use a light-sensitive medium, either film or silicon sensor, so they all need light--but yes, just as some films are better in low light than others, some cameras are better able to handle low light than others. The best low-light handling is done by dSLRS (cameras with interchangeable lenses). While a ordinary P&S digicam like the H-1 will have ISO speeds up to 400, most dSLRs have ISOs up to 1600 at least--that means two extra f-stops (or two shutter speeds) difference in exposure.

2. Are cameras that take film better in low light than digital?

Not necessarily, no. I haven't used high-speed films much so I may be wrong, but I would guess it would be difficult to find ISO 1600 35mm film (for example) that would produce the relatively clean exposures that any current dSLR can produce.

ktixx
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
...I would guess it would be difficult to find ISO 1600 35mm film (for example) that would produce the relatively clean exposures that any current dSLR can produce.
And, in addition to that comment..I have never seen a piece of equipment that you could run your negatives through to clean up noise (ie: neat image/noise ninja). Even if a digital image has noise, you can always run it through a program to reduce it.

Norm in Fujino
01-13-2006, 02:37 PM
And, in addition to that comment..I have never seen a piece of equipment that you could run your negatives through to clean up noise (ie: neat image/noise ninja).

Well, you can always scan your negatives . . . :o