PDA

View Full Version : Infrared photography on D60/20D

Jeff Keller
10-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Hi all, after reading about infrared photography I wanted to give it a try. I own an EOS-D60 but also have the 20D here on loan, so I wanted to know if anyone has tried IR shooting with these? Any tips? What filters do you recommend? I'll probably be using a lens with 67 mm threads, FYI.

Thanks,
Jeff

ReF
11-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Yo Jeff, I hope you get updated about all new posts or otherwise nobody's gonna know I replied to such an old post. Well since you said you've been reading about IR photography, I'll assume you know the basics. I'm pretty new at it too so all I can really offer is this address and a few itty bitty "tips":
www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/#NEED
I've also read the article about IR on dpFWIW.com
Sorry, no luck finding info on which cameras work well for IR or which filters should be used. All I could find was a bunch of info on older 2meg Olympus Cams and a lot of people saying that most of the 3+ meg cams block out A LOT of IR. I also read that HOYA R72 or equivalent filters give the best chance of success if you are unsure of what your cam can handle. I also found that the Hot Mirror built into all the new cameras can sometimes be removed and replaced with a piece of optical glass. Doing so will allow you to shoot at speeds of 1/100 or faster, but the modification would render the camera useless for regular shooting. You can also destroy your camera in the process, so it's not recommended for your primary cam.
I tried the "remote control" test on my A80 and the light appeared pretty bright on the LCD so I ordered a HOYA R72 filter from 47th street photo (also available at 2filter.com and B & H in NY). Well, turns out my camera is very insensitive to IR and it usually requires 15 secs or MORE(not possible on my cam) at F8.0 in direct sunlight. At first all my shots were very blurry so I thought I might have gotten a knock off filter. 2 weeks later I found out that if the camera isn't sensitve enough to IR, it won't set a proper focus distance, so you must do it manually, and you must also set it to a shorter focus distance since IR is at a different wavelength range. Usually, 1/2 or 2/3 of the actually distance works well at F8.0 for me. I always shoot IR at F8.0 because I must guess the Focus distance.
The first web address I listed is the only site I found that mentions post processing IR shots. At first I saw all these beautiful IR shot with hints of different colors here and there; when I got my filter and I could only take completely RED shots I was very disappointed and confused. I found out later that results vary significantly between cameras, and that shots like mine could be rescued in PhotoShop if they were converted to a black and white image (very dull looking with low contrast) and then have the levels and contrast settings adjusted to add some punch. Oh, and by the way, water appears dark in IR, even if it is very shallow and very clear, a small amout in a white bucket will turn dark. Also, some smooth patterns such as those on certain plants are invisible to IR and some materials come out transparent although they appear opaque in visible light. interesting, eh?

well that's all I have to offer, so... good luck

note: please respond to this message with a "i read it" or something or I will start a new post when I check back in a few days. I really wouldn't like to know I typed this up and found out later that no one read it.

ReF
11-05-2004, 06:53 PM
ahhh..forget it. I'm too lazy to re-post

br3w0k
11-12-2004, 02:56 PM
hi, i am doing some IR photo with 300D, i think its no different with D60 or 20D..
I've done some work on it, and unfortunately i posted in other forum not in english, in summery you need to use long exposure for canon, thats for sure...
I use quite succesfull with following lens
Canon EF 28mm/EF 50 mm with Hoya R 72 or Cokin P007 Filter
Canon EFs 18-55 with Cokin P007 Filter at 21 mm, wider than that you will get hot spot..
Sigma 12-24 mm with Ilford SFX Filter.
some of my work :
http://www.andry.alamsyah.net/categories.php?cat_id=21

ReF
11-14-2004, 12:03 AM
hi, i am doing some IR photo with 300D, i think its no different with D60 or 20D..
I've done some work on it, and unfortunately i posted in other forum not in english, in summery you need to use long exposure for canon, thats for sure...
I use quite succesfull with following lens
Canon EF 28mm/EF 50 mm with Hoya R 72 or Cokin P007 Filter
Canon EFs 18-55 with Cokin P007 Filter at 21 mm, wider than that you will get hot spot..
Sigma 12-24 mm with Ilford SFX Filter.
some of my work :
http://www.andry.alamsyah.net/categories.php?cat_id=21

hey, what's a "hot spot?"

Just wondering, thanks.

br3w0k
11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
hey, what's a "hot spot?"

Just wondering, thanks.

big white circle in the middle of your picture. really annoying and difficult to get rid of.

ReF
11-26-2004, 06:51 PM
sorry to bug you too much about this, but I believe i am experiencing these annoying hotspots. I am using a Canon A80 with a 58mm Hoya R72 filter for IR. I bought a 58mm because it would easily be adaptable to many different cameras, especially SLR lenses. I am the kind of person who will buy a larger filter and buy a few step rings, instead of buying several sizes of the same filter.
Anyways, is it best to use the smallest size IR filter I can? Are there anyways to work around hotspots? So far i've tried using larger apertures which seemed to help somewhat. Maybe if I cut a hole in the center of a slip-on lens cover and put that over the filter...

btw, thanks for your reply earlier, and those are some nice shots.

ktixx
11-27-2004, 10:55 PM
What settings would I have to use in order to do IR photography on a canon 20d? Do the "IR photography" Images need a special setting on the camera, or can you just manipulate the shutter speed and the f-stop?

ReF
11-27-2004, 11:26 PM
What settings would I have to use in order to do IR photography on a canon 20d? Do the "IR photography" Images need a special setting on the camera, or can you just manipulate the shutter speed and the f-stop?

sorry, it doesn't seem like anyone here has tried IR on the 20D; it was Jeff's original question (did you read the older posts?). If the light coming through the IR filter is enough for the camera to function normally, then you're set. If not then you're gonna have to shoot it like a night scene, except that(on any SLR) you'll have to compose your shot first, then place the filter on and shoot, since you won't be able to see through the filter. All the info I can give you is on my first reply, second from the top. Expect to do some post processing. br3w0k seems to know more on this subject.

ktixx
11-28-2004, 09:54 PM
I have done a little research on IR photography with the 10d or the 20d. Seems that canon uses an IR-cut low-pass filter to remove IR light, making a cleaner shot that takes up less space
http://www.canon.com/technology/detail/digi_35mm/lo_filter/
I am not 100% sure that it is impossible to do IR photography, some sources that I have read say to use a Hoya R72 IR filter and a very long shutter speed, but I am unsure how the Low-pass IR filter will make the picture turn out.
Ken

ghonis
12-15-2004, 06:15 PM
The Canon DSLR's can be modified for infrared (and astrophotography) by removal of the IR Cut filter that is located on top of the CMOS imaging chip. I have a detailed procedure for removing the IR filter and installing a coated clear glass window at:

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmodnew.html

With the IR Cut filter removed and the clear window installed, all wavelengths of light will reach the imaging chip and then camera lens blocking and pass filters can be used as needed and also a color correcting filter can be used for nomal photography.

There is a company, Hutech, that is doing the modification as a commercial enterprise. I know they are doing the mod for the Digital Rebel and I think they have started doing the mod for the 20D; you would have to check with them.

Gary Honis

ktixx
12-16-2004, 12:21 AM
In all honesty, wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and safer to just use software to give a IR look to your pictures? I don't think many peple will risk having an "operation" done on their brand new $1500 20d, or even their $1000 300d, just for the rare occasion when they will shoot IR. Take a look at all the dust on the sensors, and even the damage done to the camera from the provided link. For those who just want to shoot IR I suggest other cameras. I realize that you are not promoting the removal of the filter, you were just informing that it can be done, but I know that I would never do it.

ghonis
12-16-2004, 04:55 AM
Yes, Ktixx, I agree that using software would be easier, safer and cheaper. But software will never allow for the great sensitivity you get with an infrared camera for those serious about infrared (or astrophotography) imaging. With Canon's IR Cut filter in place, the infrared wavelength is blocked from reaching the imaging chip. The Nikon's D70 camera has an IR Cut filter that is a little easier to remove so it is gaining in popularity with infrared and astrophotographers. I have a Canon 10D so the Digital Rebel body that I modified can be dedicated to Infrared/Astro use, even though with the color correcting filter it can also be used for normal daylight photography.

I had no damage done to the camera during the modification, see the assembly pics and the focus test results. The imaging sensor was very easy to clean with the camera open by using a blower bulb only and it has no dust motes. The cover glass installed was also easy to clean and keep clean during the reassembly.

I don't suggest anyone try the modification if they have no experience with electronics; however, someone that does very small scale modelling work may find the modification quite easy. I have warnings about doing the mod on my site. There is at least one company that is selling modified Canon DSLRs with the IR Cut filter removed along with a warranty and they will also modify cameras sent to them by the owner. There have been reports that some Canon service repair shops will also remove the filter.

Gary Honis

ghonis
01-09-2005, 02:50 PM
I have completed infrared photography testing of the modified Digital Rebel. Results using the Hoya R72 infrared filter are posted here:

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod12.html

Prior testing with a standard red filter are posted here:

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod11.html

Even with the dark Hoya R72 infrared filter, the exposure time of the infrared image was 1/200 second as opposed to 1/125 second for the normal light image. Both exposures were manual mode at F8.0, ISO 100 and 26mm focal length.

Gary Honis

TeddyLoves
05-13-2005, 02:16 AM
hi guys. seems i'm one of the firsts to do IR with Canon 20D and 77mm R72 filters. i posted some of my photos in another forum. you can see 'em by click here (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56595&page=3&pp=20)

jerrykr
04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I think I may have answers to most of your questions on my IR site.

Take a look at the "Beginners" series where I detail a lot of info about shooting in IR.

I'm currently using a modded Canon 350D, and have a LOT of IR work from my Sony 717

Hope this helps.

www.irbuzz.blogspot.com

-=- Jerry -=-

cdifoto
04-19-2007, 03:40 PM
I think I may have answers to most of your questions on my IR site.

Take a look at the "Beginners" series where I detail a lot of info about shooting in IR.

I'm currently using a modded Canon 350D, and have a LOT of IR work from my Sony 717

Hope this helps.

www.irbuzz.blogspot.com (http://www.irbuzz.blogspot.com)

-=- Jerry -=-

This is a 2+ year old thread dude.