PDA

View Full Version : Lens filters

nelsonsatc
01-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I am fairly new at photography so my question might be a little amatuer but I need to know what is the best kind of lens filter to buy to take outdoor landscape pictures, sunshine and seascapes. I just got a new Nikon D70s and so far I'm loving it!

Thank you for your help.
nelsonsatc

JLV
01-10-2006, 10:41 AM
You do not need any filters. You might want UV filter primarily to protect your lens. A polarizing filter is helpful in reducing glare and making the sky bluer. As said before, you do not need any filters.

WildWinds
01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Technically, yes. You don't need filters. Have a washed out sky, you need a filter, have lots of glare? Need a polarizer. Slow a waterfall down? Neutral Density... You don't need filters, but if you want to improve your photos in some situations then I'd suggest getting filters. For landscape photography I'd recommend a polarizer, graduated neutral density filter (so the sky isn't overexposed) and for all around use a UV filter or other protector for the lens that can stay on all the time. I'm pretty sure you'll get more that fit your needs as you advance along in photography but the polarizer and ND I view as must-haves. Hope you get what you're looking for.

ReF
01-26-2006, 04:53 AM
i think those "you don't need a filter" type comments are very misleading, making it sound as though filters are totally useless. sure, it's as true as saying "you don't need a good camera to take good pictures" but both filters and sufficiently better cameras will improve your results when used properly. for landscape photography, the usual filters are circular polarizers and graduated neutral density filters. i have a polarizer, a .6 soft edge ND grad, and a .6 hard egde ND grad. some people like to have a seperate solid ND filter, but i just use the top portion of my hard edge ND grad. i also don't believe digitally blended exposures are a complete substitute for ND grads. heck i blended exposure for a ton of shots before i decided that i still had to get ND grads. even with the grads i can still blend exposures for huge dynamic range or simply cut back my post processing times.

as for brands, Hoya is very good at reasonable prices, and B+W is supposed to be the best but cost a lot. be sure to buy multi-coated filters whenever possible.
as for square filters, singh ray (sp?) is supposed to be the best but are also expensive. Lee and Hitech are supposed to be high quality as well, though some say they can't tell any difference between the three. Hitech is 1/2 the price of the other brands and i think is made by Formatt, which makes very expensive filters under their own name.

Tyger
01-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Here's a link with more than enough info about filters that give you an indepth explanation that may help you decide if you go that route.
http://www.tiffen.com/camera_filters.htm#Polarizing%20Filters

Personally I'm looking to get a polarizer and an ND filter some time soon.