PDA

View Full Version : Digicam Image Storage (abroad)

motionbliss
10-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Here's the scenario: You're traveling for several weeks (maybe months or years) somewhere abroad. You're roaming through countries and traveling light is absolutely essential. Even though you've bought a couple of high capacity memory cards for your trusty digital camera, you're going to run out of capacity a long time before your trip ends.

What do you do to offload your images (potentially numerous Gigabytes over the long term), and free up your memory cards?

John_Reed
10-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Here's the scenario: You're traveling for several weeks (maybe months or years) somewhere abroad. You're roaming through countries and traveling light is absolutely essential. Even though you've bought a couple of high capacity memory cards for your trusty digital camera, you're going to run out of capacity a long time before your trip ends.

What do you do to offload your images (potentially numerous Gigabytes over the long term), and free up your memory cards?When you speak of "potentially numerous Gigabytes over the long term," and "maybe months or years" of time, you're more or less describing what many people face in their ordinary humdrum lives at home. At a minimum, you'd probably need to have a multi-gigabyte laptop with you, or maybe even something like one of those 40 GB iPods by Apple. The laptop would give you the advantage of actually being able to see the shots you're storing, albeit in a higher volume package than the iPod. And from the laptop, you could burn your photos onto CDs or DVDs for posterity. But if you don't have some way of looking at your photos, why would you even bother to store them away by the thousands? Possibly a better and more elegant solution would be a high-speed Satellite uplink so that you could store all your photos on a web-hosting site, and be able also to view them there? Having been abroad with digital cameras before, my typical habits are to cull out the bad shots every evening in the camera itself, and (horrors!) I've even dropped down one level of compression to make more space on my memory cards. These days, depending on your camera's card type, flash memory cards can be found in many countries. And, the 1GB PQI card I'm now using in my FZ10 is available for <$100, just as a parting thought. Hope you don't mind my thinking "out loud!" :o

maflynn
10-17-2004, 03:54 PM
What do you do to offload your images (potentially numerous Gigabytes over the long term), and free up your memory cards?

I take my laptop with me.
First I don't want to take a chance with losing the card or a problem with the card and having all of my images lost. I not only load them onto my laptop, I burn a cd.

Mike

motionbliss
10-17-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm thinking that a Laptop or iPOD is prob. not going to travel with me, as I would really worry about them getting stolen, and losing all my images along with it...

I'm in my late 20's -- and would be concerned about leaving electronics like that in a bag in a hostel. :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

John_Reed
10-17-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm thinking that a Laptop or iPOD is prob. not going to travel with me, as I would really worry about them getting stolen, and losing all my images along with it...

I'm in my late 20's -- and would be concerned about leaving electronics like that in a bag in a hostel. :)

Thanks for your thoughts!Is to enlist the help of a friend or family member "back home." Take enough memory cards along with you to cover, say, 2 weeks to a month of shooting. Each time you fill a card, send it home to the designee, who will dutifully download the photos there onto some safe storage medium "at home," and then will mail you back the empty memory card to be used again.

Personally, I don't like the whole idea of not being able to edit and/or review my photos while traveling for such extensive periods; it kind of takes away from the "digital advantage," and I wonder why you're even using a digital camera for this purpose, when film and film developing services are pretty much universally available? I'm just thinking of the thousands and thousands of photos you could easily accumulate over an extended tour, and then the daunting task of culling them, sorting them, post-processing and cropping many of them, printing them, etc. That'd be a helluva lot of work facing you upon your eventual return, unless your connection back here was performing that function for you! Oh well, it's your call.

Rhys
10-18-2004, 08:51 AM

Thanks for your thoughts!

If you have a look at the postings in the memory cards folder, you'll see the prices for memory cards have fallen somewhat.

In your situation I wonder whether it might not be just as good to use a Sony Mavica that will record everything to an 8cm CD. That way you have no laptop to lug around and the CDs are fairly light and easy to carry. The camera, however, is big and bulky.

Last summer, I was on holiday for 7 weeks. I took with me 1 gb of cards and shot 1,500 photographs, approximately, using my 3mp Nikon 3100. Given that Compact Flash has now fallen to GBP 10 per 128mb and given that I was putting about 180 photos per 128mb card at high quality (not the maximum quality setting) and given that 140 was the most pictures I ever shot in a day, perhaps having multiple memory cards is not such a crazy idea after all. I took with me 2x 64mb and 3x 128mb cards. On my journey I purchased 4 more 128mb cards. If you reckon on 128mb lasting a week (which it pretty much did for me) then you'd need 52 x 128mb cards to cover a year or 4 x 128mb cards per month. That works out at GBP 40 per month for memories that'll last a lifetime. Plus, at the end of the year you could sell the excess memory cards on ebay for about half what you paid for them and end up spending GBP 20 per month on your memories.

My recommendation - go for memory cards and don't be stingy.

Janet
10-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Flash Trax from
http://smartdisk.com/
Seems a good way to go as you can view your pictures on it and make sure your cards are working.

I do have to say that I own shares in their company. About $1.00 worth, maybe less.
I think I have read good things about the Flash Trax, but you would want to check further. I always hate to trust my pictures to anything digital, but then, at somepoint, you usually have to.
Janet

Rhys
10-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Flash Trax from
http://smartdisk.com/
Seems a good way to go as you can view your pictures on it and make sure your cards are working.

I do have to say that I own shares in their company. About $1.00 worth, maybe less.
I think I have read good things about the Flash Trax, but you would want to check further. I always hate to trust my pictures to anything digital, but then, at somepoint, you usually have to.
Janet

The problem with hard drives is when they fail you lose everything. Far better to save to CD as you go. That way you only lose a CD worth of images, not a massive hard drive worth.

kgosden
10-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Well, I can easily go through 2-3 GB in a week. I did just that on my last vacation. But I carry enough memory to handle at least that as I partially agree with Rhys on this one; memory has become cheap enough (and so have good cameras) that I have considered just archiving to flash cards. Heck, they potentially have a longer life than CD's since they are not as easily damaged.

I look at my 5MP Olympus and I ended up with over 400 JPEGs (highest non-TIFF setting) on a 1GB card. That card only cost me $60 a few weeks ago. That's less than 15 cents a photo, or about the same as a roll of film at $5.40 for 36. And that doesn't include the benefit of culling a few bad ones each night if I had wished. I even own an older digital wallet, but at 3GB it is now almost too small to be useful.

I think that I would look at two possibilities depending on my destinations. First, get one of the many portable flash reader/ CD-RW combo units that run $225 or so. Buy 6-8 512MB cards and back them up to CD every few days. Make two copies and mail them to two seperate people. Don't delete any cards until someone e-mails you that they have received your CD and can read it. Stick with 512MB cards or smaller as I still don't trust those little burners to properly span CD's when using larger cards. As a second choice I would look into pre-locating internet cafes that will burn your photos for you. It will cost you more per CD, but might be cheaper in the risk vs. reward category. On my recent trip to Tuscany places were charging $8-15 per CD. Still not bad instead of carrying a $225 portable.