PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sharpening

lirand
01-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Hey,

I'm attaching a photo I shot a couple of days ago. I think it's quite a nice moment that I caught, but the photo turned out to be too blurry...

Can anyone try helping me sharpening it somehow? The attached output has a standard "sharpen" effect already applied to it (and I don't know why but I can't manage to get better result with "unsharp mask"... maybe I don't know how to use it well enough...)

Obviously, the image is cropped.

Thanks.

JTL
01-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey,

I'm attaching a photo I shot a couple of days ago. I think it's quite a nice moment that I caught, but the photo turned out to be too blurry...

Can anyone try helping me sharpening it somehow? The attached output has a standard "sharpen" effect already applied to it (and I don't know why but I can't manage to get better result with "unsharp mask"... maybe I don't know how to use it well enough...)

Obviously, the image is cropped.

Thanks.It's not just sharpness...there is noticible "motion blur" of the cat's mouth. That can not be fixed. Also, IMO the main subject in the image is too soft in general to be effectively helped by post processing...it looks as if the DOF is not deep enough or you back-focused...or, you were too close to the subject...sorry...

Prospero
01-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Okay, I must admit, this one is not perfect, but there is still some room for improvement. I used the smart sharpen filter in Photoshop twice; once to remove lens blur, once to remove motion blur. After that I used an unsharp mask. Then I removed some noise in the background. Finally, I did some work on the cats mouth by using the smudge tool, dodge tool, sponge tool, sharpening tool and the healing brush tool (the old-fashioned one, where you have to pick the reference area yourself, unlike the spot healing brush tool featured in Photoshop CS2).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dolkens/pictures/sharpercat.jpg

JTL
01-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I can understand an emotional attachment to the picture, but it's still not really very good IMO. Some pictures just can't be saved. If Photoshop had a "Go Back In Time" filter, you could just go back and retake the shot! :D

That being said, if you like the results you achieved, that's all that really counts. But if you put it out there in public, you've got to be willing to take the good with the bad...and really, I'm just trying to be honest. ;)

tim11
01-23-2006, 04:03 PM
If software always offer solutions there is no need to spend on camera R&D. You can improve a little on each image. If you have a good image you can make it a little better, if you have a blur of some blob then... hmmm...
Don't take it as my judgment on Lirand's photo but there is a saying in photo editing: 'rubbish in, rubbish out'.