PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Help (Movie Feature)

fraserdunn
10-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Hello,

I have just started being a coach for a minor hockey team in my hometown and I was wondering would it be possible for me to use a digital camera to film some of the players, and what would the quality of the videos be with the different cameras. I tried to find some information out at the only local store that sells cameras, but they really couldn't help. So if anyone could answer the following questions I would be forever in your debt.
Which video format do the majority of cameras use and which is better?

What type of cameras would be good enough to film them with still reasonable quality so I could point out what they are doing wrong and all that stuff and e-mail them the video.

Is technology increasing so that the videos are becoming better at all (I know that a friend has a very old digital camera that takes videos and they are quite choppy).

lastly do you think this would work well, for lets say me filming a tennis swing or a golf swing and looking at it later.
Thank you kindly in advance, and have a great day.

Rhys
10-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Hello,

I have just started being a coach for a minor hockey team in my hometown and I was wondering would it be possible for me to use a digital camera to film some of the players, and what would the quality of the videos be with the different cameras. I tried to find some information out at the only local store that sells cameras, but they really couldn't help. So if anyone could answer the following questions I would be forever in your debt.
Which video format do the majority of cameras use and which is better?

What type of cameras would be good enough to film them with still reasonable quality so I could point out what they are doing wrong and all that stuff and e-mail them the video.

Is technology increasing so that the videos are becoming better at all (I know that a friend has a very old digital camera that takes videos and they are quite choppy).

lastly do you think this would work well, for lets say me filming a tennis swing or a golf swing and looking at it later.
Thank you kindly in advance, and have a great day.

For a VGA-sized video (which I'd regard as being the minimum useful size), you're talking 2 megabytes per second for high-quality, 30 frames per second video.

Check the reviews on this site as all should have video samples. The best video I've seen has been on the Canon S1 IS. Having said that, the maximum video at VGA size and at 30fps, best quality will be 8 minutes and will take up a gigabyte of storage. I can't imagine anybody - even with broadband - would be willing to wait for that to download!