PDA

View Full Version : 300D and close up lens

carmul
07-14-2004, 07:00 AM
I purchased a set of close up lens and something odd occured. When looking through the viewfinder the object is in perfect focus but the picture is out of focus. Has anyone else experiensed this?? I'm using the 50mm f1.8 Canon lens with a +4 close up lens.

Ray Schnoor
07-14-2004, 07:17 AM
I guess the first thing I would suggest is to check to make sure that the diopter is properly focused for your vision. On 1 side of the optical viewfinder, there is a control that changes the focus for the viewfinder (for people that need glasses, but take photos without them). Looking through the viewfinder, there should be some framing marks or brackets, change the diopter control until those are in sharp focus. Now, your diopter is in focus for your eyes.

If you are using manual focus, this could be a problem. If you are using auto focus, there may be a problem with your lens/camera combination. I seem to remember reading somewhere that some dSLRs have to be recalibrated at the factory for some lenses, which would be unfortunate since you would have to send the camera and lens back for calibration.

I hope it is only the diopter.

Ray.

Jake Conner
07-14-2004, 06:28 PM
What brand diopter, and what fstop?

Jake

carmul
07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I purchased a set of close up lens and something odd occured. When looking through the viewfinder the object is in perfect focus but the picture is out of focus. Has anyone else experiensed this?? I'm using the 50mm f1.8 Canon lens with a +4 close up lens.

They are Hoya lenses and the out of focus was worst at larger openings...f1.8

Jake Conner
07-15-2004, 12:39 AM
Yes, with a single element diopter like the Hoya, you need to stop down for decent optical performance... at least F8, preferably F11, F16 or even more.

Jake

carmul
07-15-2004, 06:14 AM
They are Hoya lenses and the out of focus was worst at larger openings...f1.8

Thanks for that info