PDA

View Full Version : D70 Minimum repair costs

smac
10-15-2004, 07:33 PM
I have been recently looking seriously at the Nikon D70 DSLR. I have read review after review and I went to the local Ritz camera franchise store to get a feel for the camera. I am really impressed with all that I have read and the hands on feel of the camera itself. However, while talking to the guys in the camera shop I ask about the total cost of the D70 kit out the door. After quoting what I thought was a reasonable price they suggested that I might want to purchase Ritz's "Extended Service Plan" for an extra $198 per year. They then proceeded to tell me that except for the service of cleaning the CCD (roughly estimated at about $70) the cost of even the most basic service would be $700. Yikes! Can this be true? The plan, they said, would cover any damage whether it was accidental or not. In affect making it an unbreakable camera. And, if they couldn't fix it they would replace it with a camera of equal value. I'm not quite sure if that means with another D70 or not. This is serious cash, almost 50% the cost of the camera. If anyone else has heard anything like this please let me know. I think they may be trying to pad their profit margin with scare tactics. smac

Mike Woods
10-16-2004, 05:05 AM
I heard this same sales pitch when shopping at one of the Ritz Camera locations in my area. We have four stores near me and only one used this tactic, although I am sure all of their stores are suppose to. To me it seems like home or car insurance, although much more expensive.... Its one of those things that would be nice to have if you need it, but my guess is that very few people ever have to use it, and it is a tremendous profit booster to the stores.

smac
10-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks Mike,
I'm glad (?) to know someone else has heard that pitch. I feel the same as you, an extended warrenty is nice if you need it but I have found that I rarely ever have. I think my next step is to contact a Nikon repair facility and ask about their repair charges. Thank again for the reply, smac

Jeff Keller
10-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Since there's already another thread (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607) on the subject.