PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D70 minimum repair charge or scam

smac
10-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Hello,
I have been recently looking seriously at the Nikon D70 DSLR. I have read review after review. I went to the local Ritz camera store franchise to get a feel for the camera. I am really impressed with all that I have read and the hands on feel of the camera itself. However, while talking to the guys in the camera shop I ask about the total cost of the D70 kit out the door. They recommended that I would probably want to purchase Ritz's "Extended Service Plan" for an extra $198 per year. They then proceeded to tell me that except for the service of cleaning the CCD (roughly estimated at about $70) the cost of even the most basic service would be $700. Yikes! Can this be true? The plan, they said, would cover any damage whether it was accidental or not. In affect making it an unbreakable camera. And, if they couldn't fix it they would replace it with a camera of equal value. I'm not quite sure if that means with another D70 or not. This is serious cash. almost 50% the cost of the camera. If anyone else has heard anything like this please let me know. I think they're just trying to pad their profit margin by scare tactics. smac

D70FAN
10-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Hello,
I have been recently looking seriously at the Nikon D70 DSLR. I have read review after review. I went to the local Ritz camera store franchise to get a feel for the camera. I am really impressed with all that I have read and the hands on feel of the camera itself. However, while talking to the guys in the camera shop I ask about the total cost of the D70 kit out the door. They recommended that I would probably want to purchase Ritz's "Extended Service Plan" for an extra $198 per year. They then proceeded to tell me that except for the service of cleaning the CCD (roughly estimated at about $70) the cost of even the most basic service would be $700. Yikes! Can this be true? The plan, they said, would cover any damage whether it was accidental or not. In affect making it an unbreakable camera. And, if they couldn't fix it they would replace it with a camera of equal value. I'm not quite sure if that means with another D70 or not. This is serious cash. almost 50% the cost of the camera. If anyone else has heard anything like this please let me know. I think they're just trying to pad their profit margin by scare tactics. smac

In most cases I like Wolf/Ritz/Kits, but the extended warranty thing really bugs me. In most cases your homeowners policy will protect against theft, and Nikon warrants the camera for defects. My local guys in Tempe will clean the camera for $25 and actually you can easily clean it yourself.

If you are really concerned that you will damage the camera then maybe $198 is ok. If you keep the neck strap around your neck, then that should eliminate about 95% of the worry. Sorry, the final decision has to be yours.

maflynn
10-16-2004, 06:17 AM
I think the sales guys were inflating the repair cost. Now I really don't know but you can get D70 body for 900+ I doubt very much the most baasic repair would cost 700. The inference there is other repairs will be cheaper. You might as well purchase a new body at that point.

I myself am considering an extended warrenty, its not as expansive has that one, it only extends the defect warranty by two years, in effect if I break I own it.

I shy away from any store/business that has the high pressure sales. There's no need, I'd rather build a relationship with a small camera store and know that I'm getting taking care.

Mike

Jayde
10-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Any extra warranty is a total ripoff thats where sales people make a percentage they`d sell their granny to... advice from a consumer prog on TV was to put an amount in a saver account in case..
I doubt anyone would but keep YOUR money in YOUR pocket NOT THEIRS..

that Tempe shop seems good deal for emergency, get the details and post it if nec..

smac
10-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replys all,
You pretty much confirmed what I already believed. ESP's are for clutzes and people with money to toss. After owning 2 film SLRs, and three digital cameras over the last 35 yearsI have only once had to send a camera in for repair. And that was because I forgot to zip up my bag, which was on the back of a motorcylce. Oops, bounced that poor Minolta SRT101 right onto the dirt. So I think I have my answer. I appreciate the thoughts. Now I am going to contact an authorized Nikon repair facility and check out some cost of repairs info.
smac

H33
10-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I am not a fan of these either but for digital cameras they may be worthwhile. My coolpix required a small repair ($200 minimum) after 2 years.

I just bought the Nikon D70 and got a 3 year (true 3 year, starts when Nikon warranty ends) for only $150.00, that is hard to beat and 1/4 the cost of the coverage you mentioned. Got it at Penn Camera.

smac
10-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks,
Yes, I can see $150 for a three year extension, but not $200 per year. Is Penn Camera a local or national store? I think BestBuys warrenty is similar.
I only have limited choices in the smallish city where I live. There is a larger pool of camera stores about 90 miles away. It sounds like I need to spend a day and visits some of those. I do have an e-mail in to Nikon about repair costs. I will post the reply when/if I get one. Meanwhile my D70 savings account continues to grow.....:D Many thanks with envy to all of you new D70 owners and to the others that have responded.