PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Sony flash unit

ladywolf
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Forgive me, moderators, if this is in the wrong spot. I need suggestions from the big brains here.

I'm having a ball with my Sony DSC-F828 and am shooting some nice pictures. Shooting outdoors has consistently produced delightful results, but more recently, my editorial duties have forced me into arenas, stadiums, etc, and photos are terrible; I never did have any illusions about the built- in flash being adequate, and it is anything BUT.

My research has uncovered very little in terms of locating a professional flash unit that is compatible with this DSC; can any of you who shoot for publicatiobn recommend something? I'm not savy when it comes to terminology, but I've shareed the ring with a few of the pros and they have these really nifty units with the external battery pack, the flip mount thing, the handle mount thing.... do any of you use these?

If it sounds like I'm begging for help, you're absolutely correct. Thanks.

jamison55
10-15-2004, 02:31 PM
This flash (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000996BZ/103-9605185-4821438?v=glance) seems to be the only one that is TTL compatible with the Sony 828, and it is quite a bargain to boot! It is relatively powerful and automatically controlled by the camera.

Aside from that, any automatic flash should work relatively well as long as you learn the proper manual exposure settings for the situations you are shooting. Here are a couple of popular ones:

Vivitar 283 (http://www.adorama.com/VV283.html) - still one of the most revered shoe mount flashes for obvious reasons...a lot of flash for not much cash! (groooaaan)

Metz 60CT1 with Battery Pack (http://www.adorama.com/MZ60CT1.html) - A true professional unit, this one will practically light a stadium and the external battery makes sure it lasts through overtime.

Sunpak 544 (http://www.adorama.com/SU544.html) - A good compromise. The bracket moves the flash off camera for better light control, has just a bit more power than the Vivitar, but costs a whole lot less than the Metz.

D70FAN
10-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Forgive me, moderators, if this is in the wrong spot. I need suggestions from the big brains here.

I'm having a ball with my Sony DSC-F828 and am shooting some nice pictures. Shooting outdoors has consistently produced delightful results, but more recently, my editorial duties have forced me into arenas, stadiums, etc, and photos are terrible; I never did have any illusions about the built- in flash being adequate, and it is anything BUT.

My research has uncovered very little in terms of locating a professional flash unit that is compatible with this DSC; can any of you who shoot for publicatiobn recommend something? I'm not savy when it comes to terminology, but I've shareed the ring with a few of the pros and they have these really nifty units with the external battery pack, the flip mount thing, the handle mount thing.... do any of you use these?

If it sounds like I'm begging for help, you're absolutely correct. Thanks.

The closest Sony comes to a pro flash for the 828 is the HVL-F1000 ($120). With a specified range of 26 feet. For your needs the flash probably shoud have a range of at least 60 feet (this is shown in the guide number which is listed in m/ft (meters/feet) generally at ISO100 and a specified focal length (like 35mm or 105mm). Many third party flashes can cover long distances.

Because the 828 is not really a professional camera, you will probably have to "kluge" something together externally. i.e. 3rd party flash, adapter and flash bracket. May not be that difficult (?).

Maybe someone up on the Sony board has done this so you might want to check there.

ladywolf
10-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Jamison & George, your input is greatly appreciated. Jamison, I've seen that unit and considered it, but wanted to get a general response here first.

George, when you say the 828 isn't really considered a professional, is that because there are models with 12 & 13 MP out there or is it moreso an issue of features? Just curious to know what makes a camera "pro" versus "amateur."

Keith
11-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Keith said:

The Sony HVL_F1000, I believe, is not TTL compatible, but, the Sony HVL-F32X is a good flash and a match for the f828 it is TTL compatible for this pro. digital camera.

Fear not the word pro means nothing to a pro. he/she deals in specifications and lens that cost thousands. The dslr of $2000 or less is a low end and is not compatible with their needs.

The DSLR low end body sells for about the same as this Sony 828 but the lens to match the dig.828 for the slr would cost around two to three thousand dollars minimum and up depending on matched glass.

"No", mine and your Sony, for what our needs are, is PRO, many dslr with 18-/70/85 approximately is not considered of a professiponal needs requirements.

I take, in many respects, photos, with the same requirement and needs as yours. I need flash for swimming pools and parent child inside sports and fauna and flora pictures. We produce photos for a 13x19 double sided full colour with at least 25% pictures and the Sony is doing and meeting our requirements. We looked at a dslr with the same ability lends and we were looking at a bill of $7000 to $10,000 dollars. Any dslr with less glass requirement than that was just not appropriate for the job.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Remember its not the size or cost of the camera but rather what it can do. The finished product and glass is the most important of all.

The Carl Zeiss lens is high quality, they make excellent Professional video station and on road cameras. They also make camera's for the movie industry, so your camera is not less than professional for its intended job.

Keith

Nick
11-14-2004, 07:24 AM
George, when you say the 828 isn't really considered a professional, is that because there are models with 12 & 13 MP out there or is it moreso an issue of features? Just curious to know what makes a camera "pro" versus "amateur."

Ladywolf,

This isn't even about the 12 & 13 MP deal, it's simply geared towards a certain audience, that is the dSLR congregation which has different needs would spend upwards 2k easily on their equipment, would buy glass priced upwards of 1k, might a 12mm wideangle, 8fps shooting speed, need flash units linked together, so and so. Sony doesn't anticipate you'll need those things and puts together an all-in-one unit which manages a whole lot and manages it well - but not always :)

I own a Sony 717, and if you put it up against my Nikon D70 in auto modes, I swear the 717 gives you a prettier picture whereas for the D70, you have to work for it. Hopefully you can be happy still with what you have manage even further with it.