PDA

View Full Version : Making night look like day...

Militaris
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I have always enjoyed going outside at night and taken photos, although I do not get around to doing it much.

Lately I been trying to take photos of scenary and landscape at night, but try to make them bright enough so at a glance they would appear as day. The best example I have taken is labeled A2. The others failed to get such a effect.

Camera: Canon Powershot S2 IS + tri-pod.

A1:
Shutter Speed: 4
Aperture Value: 2.7
ISO: 200

A2:
Shutter Speed: 15
Aperture Value: 2.7
ISO: 400

A3:
Shutter Speed: 15
Aperture Value: 7.1
ISO: 100

B1 & B2
Both were taken with shutter speed 15, and aperture value of 2.7. Although the ISO changed from 400 (B1) to 400 (B2).

I would like same advice on how I could get more interesting shoots, or how to improve them, I understand my current camera is limited in what it can achieve, and that it does require moon light. The A photos were pointed towards a full moon, while the B photos were of a crecent moon.

I like the look of the 'star' effect in A3, why was this produced? Is it due to the high Aperture Value?

I am also interested to see if anyone have taken simalar style of photos. I remember seeing one impressive shot in a magazine taken at night with a dSLR of a flock of seabirds birds at the coast. It looked like day, apart from the fact all the birds were asleep.

JLV
01-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I like the look of the 'star' effect in A3, why was this produced? Is it due to the high Aperture Value?

A small aperture is likely to give thestar effect.

Militaris
01-06-2006, 12:49 PM
f-stop/aperture value numbers have always confused me.... Correct me if I am wrong. I understand (after reading a few guides) a 'high number' f-stop like 7.1 is a small Aperture, which reduced the lens opening allowing less light through. So this would be referred to us a 'small aperture' based on the size of the opening rather then the number.

GabOrcinus
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
That's correct.

Just remember this: The varying number is the denominator, so the bigger it is, the smaller the resulting value. For example, 1/3 is a bigger number than 1/16. So, a F2.8 value lets much more light in than F16.