PDA

View Full Version : Pentax ist D2 lens

Shortpant
01-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 14mm f2.8 ED
Telephoto SMCP-FA 77mm f1.8 limited
I read Pentax and BHphoto features of these two lenses.
I kind understand a little bit difference between these two lenses.
One is super wide angle the other is telephoto.
For the image quality witch one is better?
My Camera is pentax ist d2 all I knew is Pentax lens DA series is for Digital camera. But I can use all other Pentax lens. 77mm f1.8 is equal to 51.33mm
f1.2 in 35mm film?
MY first SLR camera and I am a beginner
Thanks!

jeisner
01-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 14mm f2.8 ED
Telephoto SMCP-FA 77mm f1.8 limited
I read Pentax and BHphoto features of these two lenses.
I kind understand a little bit difference between these two lenses.
One is super wide angle the other is telephoto.
For the image quality witch one is better?
My Camera is pentax ist d2 all I knew is Pentax lens DA series is for Digital camera. But I can use all other Pentax lens. 77mm f1.8 is equal to 51.33mm
f1.2 in 35mm film?
MY first SLR camera and I am a beginner
Thanks!

OK the 14mm and the 77mm are two very different kinds of lens, so it is hard to directly compare the image quality, needless to say the 77mm is a more optically refined lens... the 14mm is a very nice lens, but the 77 is amazingy good...

The 77mm is 77mm on 35mm film and f1.8. On digital it will give you the equivelent FOV (field of view) of a 115mm lens... It will still give you the same amount of light so it is still an f1.8 (there is an effect on the DOF but I will leave that alone for now)...

astro
01-05-2006, 03:14 AM
OK the 14mm and the 77mm are two very different kinds of lens, so it is hard to directly compare the image quality, needless to say the 77mm is a more optically refined lens... the 14mm is a very nice lens, but the 77 is amazingy good...

The 77mm is 77mm on 35mm film and f1.8. On digital it will give you the equivelent FOV (field of view) of a 115mm lens... It will still give you the same amount of light so it is still an f1.8 (there is an effect on the DOF but I will leave that alone for now)...

Basically you get the same amount of DoF as a 77mm lens, but it gives you the same FOV of a 115mm lens.
Longer lens have less DoF than shorter lens. Thus a 77mm will have more DoF than a 115mm lens on a 35mm, but will have the same FOV on a DSLR.

Shortpant
01-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Special thank to astro and jeisner !

I just bought Pentax SMCP-FA 77mm f 1.8 limited to day at Bhphoto.com.
I am very happy with my new Pentax ist D2 SLR easy to use.
I just figured out how to shoot and work with raw file format.
ist D2 lock me out in record mode I can not set image tone as natural mode I have to shoot in bright mode and take care of it (set it back to natural mode ) or edit it in Laboratory soft ware. The soft ware did very good job, it let me adjust everything’s as need.

Pentax ist D2, Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f2.8 limited, Pentax SMCP-DA 16-45mm f4ED AL, soon (1-1-2006) will be adding SMCP-FA 77mm f1.8 limited.

astro
01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Great purchase, I wish I am able to afford such nice lens.
Anyways, post pics when you get the lens! You can get hosting at www.imageshack.us