PDA

View Full Version : making money with a DSLR

kevin512
01-04-2006, 05:24 PM
I am almost certain that I am going to buy the Digital Rebel XT Digital Camera with 18-55mm EF-S Lens . Since the prices are soooo high in the DSLR area I wanted to know if anyone has ideas on "how to" make money with a brand new DSLR. I go to the University of Florida and shoot photos for the local newspaper, but it is non-profit (www.alligator.org). Does anyone have an idea they have pondered or implemented recently?

Prospero
02-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I have bought the Nikon D-50 with the kit lens last weekend. Since I am still at school and my only income is a job in a restaurant in the weekends, it has been a pretty big investment for me. Therefore I also have been thinking of partially earning my investment back using the camera :).

Now here's what I've come up with. I looked around on the internet looking at the websites of local restaurants. Many of these websites had some pictures posted on them, but what struck me was that most pictures were taken at daytime with nobody in the restaurant. The pictures therefore do not show the atmosphere you would want people to associate with your restaurant. Now, what I plan to do is approach these restaurant offering them to take pictures in their restaurant for a small fee. Perhaps I will approach the restaurant I work in first and take pictures for free, to build up some sort of portfolio of pictures of this genre.

Of course, before starting this scheme, I will first get to know my camera and find out what is the best way of taking pictures in a restaurant.

I don't know if my scheme will work out. If it does I'll let you know.

D70FAN
02-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I have bought the Nikon D-50 with the kit lens last weekend. Since I am still at school and my only income is a job in a restaurant in the weekends, it has been a pretty big investment for me. Therefore I also have been thinking of partially earning my investment back using the camera :).

Now here's what I've come up with. I looked around on the internet looking at the websites of local restaurants. Many of these websites had some pictures posted on them, but what struck me was that most pictures were taken at daytime with nobody in the restaurant. The pictures therefore do not show the atmosphere you would want people to associate with your restaurant. Now, what I plan to do is approach these restaurant offering them to take pictures in their restaurant for a small fee. Perhaps I will approach the restaurant I work in first and take pictures for free, to build up some sort of portfolio of pictures of this genre.

Of course, before starting this scheme, I will first get to know my camera and find out what is the best way of taking pictures in a restaurant.

I don't know if my scheme will work out. If it does I'll let you know.

After checking with the restaurant owner... You might want to start out by offering a free photo (print) of patrons on special occasions (birthday, aniversary, etc). This might give you a better idea of the lighting and what group shot and interior techniques work, and as a bonus people may want to pay for extra prints as well.;)

To carry this one step further include a business card with the free print as well, or print the same info on the back of the photo.

Viktorrr
02-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Prospero, check out the website in my sig.
You'll find a link TBN, which stands for "town by night". A couple of photographers, including me, charge some bars or caffes or whatever to take pictures.
I dont really do restaurants, but sometimes i had to :)
For example here is a link to one of the most popular hang out places here. Its called "factory" lol
http://www.photonino.com/imagebrowse.php?category_id=61&user_id=0&event_id=8860&subevent_id=8871&dir=2006/2006/2/11/factory19

And i know the images i where i tried to capture the whole room and atmosphere didnt come out really good looking.

I hope i helped you a bit. :)

Prospero
02-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your input, Viktorr and George. I had forgotten about this thread, so I'm sorry for responding this late.

At the moment I'm really too busy with school and my job to try these things, but when I have time I might give it a try.

I like your idea of offering free photo prints at special occasions as a way to start out, George, but I don't have a photoprinter. Doing all that via a lab might be somewhat awkward. Perhaps I'll consider investing in one of these things, though I would rather like to invest it in new lenses and other equipment.

In the meantime my job is making me enough money, so there's not much need to start making money with my camera.

Starwoman
02-15-2006, 03:15 AM
I am a Territory Manager - Dealer Assistant with Auction123.com - eBay Motors & their Field Recruiter. We have many openings all over the US. Some areas already have a Territory Manager and may need additional :) photographers.

I was a digital novice just a few months ago and now have a career I love, doing what I love and being treated like a professional. ;)

It is lucrative, part time and the folks at HQ are awesome. I encourage anyone with any interest to contact me (ebay38002@yahoo.com) :) and to check out the website.

This is the kind of work, students, moms, seniors or others looking to utilize their skill and make money taking pictures of vehicles. If you happen to be a car buff, all the better.

Micki

Prospero
02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks a lot for your information, Micki. It's a great opportunity to earn some money with photography.
If only I lived in the States... I'll keep my eyes open to see if there are any similar projects here in the Netherlands.

Bullitt
02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I am a Territory Manager - Dealer Assistant with Auction123.com - eBay Motors & their Field Recruiter. We have many openings all over the US. Some areas already have a Territory Manager and may need additional :) photographers.

I was a digital novice just a few months ago and now have a career I love, doing what I love and being treated like a professional. ;)

It is lucrative, part time and the folks at HQ are awesome. I encourage anyone with any interest to contact me (ebay38002@yahoo.com) :) and to check out the website.

This is the kind of work, students, moms, seniors or others looking to utilize their skill and make money taking pictures of vehicles. If you happen to be a car buff, all the better.

Micki

How about Montana and Saskatchewan, Canada? Any interest in those areas?