PDA

View Full Version : E900 Opinions

Donato777
01-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I have decided to take a closer look at the E900 which offers wider angle opportunities, does better in low light and and I can always attach a telephoto lens for more zoom. Since there are still not many reviews for this , I'd like to hear from E900 users - both pro and con. Beachcamera.com is selling it for just $361.00 + shipping and that is a great price, but what are your opinions about the camera in terms of:
Image quality
Ease of use
Battery life
Movie mode
Effectiveness of wide angle and telephoto lens

I would use the camera for family and pet photos, landscapes, indoor/outdoor shots, wildlife and in low light conditions.

Thanks all.

speaklightly
01-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Donato-
I found a review for you at:http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review3316_main16588.html.

After reading the review myself, my only concern was the E-900's reported habit to mis-focus in low light.

Speaklightly

Donato777
01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks Speaklightly. Here is a summary of Steve's review of the E900 at Steves-digicams.com. I think it is much more positive than designtechnica.

"Indoor shooting benefitted from the relatively powerful flash (12.1 foot range at wide angle) and better than average field of view at the wide angle end of the zoom range. The combination is good for portraits of individuals and moderate sized groups, but don't expect to illuminate a banquet room. The E900's red eye reduction flash mode was effective, and you'll be able to include yourself in group portraits thanks to the E900's tripod socket and self-timer. Although it has no focus-assist lamp, the E900's autofocus system performed quite well in conditions of low ambient light, easily achieving focus lock in average incandescent room lighting. The LCD briefly "gains-up" the live image during autofocus in conditions of low ambient light. This helps you compose the shot in such conditions, but I preferred the optical viewfinder in dim room lighting. The E900 did a good job of squelching its flash during macro-photography, and would make an acceptable camera for online auction product shots. When using the Macro focus mode, the optical zoom is locked at wide angle...

The Fuji FinePix E900 has features that will please photographers of every experience level, but it greatest appeal will be found among advanced users. Its outdoor results are pleasing, and its shooting performance is impressive. Its 9-megapixel images are capable of producing high-quality 11x14-inch and greater prints and, because of its great resolution, even aggressive cropping can produce high-quality 8x10's. The E900's indoor results benefit from its wide angle zoom, good autofocus performance, effective red eye reduction and adequate flash range. If you're looking for a stylish, pocketable family digicam with impressive performance and very high resolution, the Fuji FinePix E900 is quite worthy of consideration. And with a street price of around $400 at the time of this review (December 2005), it's a good value."

Do you think the newer F11 would be much better? I really like the wider angle on the E900 and I did not like the Canon S80 because I found the ergonomics annoying - it just did not feel right in my hand. Thanks!

speaklightly
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Donato-

Jeff has a E-900 review in the mill. It is an interesting camera. I would be more enthusiastic if it had a low light level focus lamp. Also if you want to raw images with it, please keep in mind that it takes over a minute to write each raw image to the XD card. And there is no good program available currently to decode and manage those raw images.

As far as I know Fuji is not going to market the F-11 model in the USA. It is available overseas.

Speaklightly

Donato777
01-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Another wide angle I am looking at is the Canon Powershot Pro1. It is more expensive than the E900 and larger, but it also has the features I am looking for. Would you or any users care to comment about how these two models measure up against each other? Thanks.

speaklightly
01-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Donato-

The Canon Pro-1 is usually critiqued for being very slow to almost everything and especially focusing. It is also now almost two years old. I, personally, would be a bit wary of it unless the price was fantastic.What are the features in the Pro 1 that interest you?

Regarding the Fuji E-900. I noticed that www.walmart is carrying the camera. So I can safely order the camera, and return it within 30 days if I don't like it. That is another option for you.

Speaklightly

Donato777
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I like the wider angle lens and 7x zoom on the Pro1, and on the E900, the fact that is starts at 32mm, instead of 35-38mm is a plus for me. Add to these, manual controls and fairly compact size and you have a camera that you can grow into. I can wait and see if Canon comes out with a Pro2 or G7 with a wide angle. There is no rush. It just seems like every camera that has the wide angle and higher zoom features I want in a camera have either noise or focusing problems.

speaklightly
01-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Donato-

Well, I went ahead and ordered the E-900 from www.walmart.com, and I will let you know how the adventure pans out. Like you I like the slightly greater wideangle and the 4X optical zoom.

I can also share with you that the S-5200 is actually sharper, though not as wideangled than the S-9000.

Speaklightly

Donato777
01-05-2006, 03:01 PM
I must admit, that I did not expect you to say that you ordered the E900, but I am glad that you did because I trust your expertise very much - and I am sure others do as well. I hope that you did not pay too much for it. Beachcamera.com has it for $361.00 + shipping - a good buy, I think. I'll check out the S5200, but I think it is larger and bulkier than I like. Thanks and I'll look forward to hearing from you about the E900. Feel free to send me a private message so I'll know that you're reading to offer your impressions.

speaklightly
01-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Donato-

Please, not to worry. I can always return it, and in the meantime both of us get our questions answered, so it is something of a drill, but worthwhile. I will keep you posted.

Are you anywhere near the California/Oregon border? I will be doing a 10 week digital camera workshop beginning January 18, 2006??

Speaklightly

Donato777
01-05-2006, 06:55 PM
and live in Connecticut, not too far from NYC. It would be a joy to take your course, if you ever come East. I await your "review" of the E900. BTW, photoxels.com gave both the E900 and Canon Pro1 an excellent review. They called the Pro1's image quality, "simply excellent," and the E900's "very good to excellent," but not on a par with the F10/F11.

ardi
01-09-2006, 07:46 AM
speaklightly,

...what you think of the E900. The camera is finally in stores, but the two critical issues remaining for me are redeye and lag times for the shutter and flash. (Well, noise and the LCD might be issues, but I doubt it.) Those variables are hard to evaluate in the confusion of a Ritz store counter. Too much BS, and the salesmen push emotional buying decisions, not objective comparisons.

Since the specs came out last summer I've been waiting anxiously for Jeff's review, but my only satisfaction is that the price has fallen over $100 in the meantime.

So let us know how you like it! Thanks,
ardi

speaklightly
01-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Well it is Monday, January 9th and the E-900 has not yet arrived as yet. I will keep you posted as to when it actually arrives.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
There has been some discussion within this thread about the image quality of the Fuji E-900. Having just received my E-900 sample, I can report no low light focusing problems when used with normal living room lighting and impressive 9mp images allowing dramatic cropping. Here is a 100% crop example.

Speaklightly

ardi
01-15-2006, 10:54 PM
speaklightly,

I ordered the E900 and it should be here Wednesday. Jeff's review sealed the deal for me, and I'm glad to hear that the focus problem isn't a problem for normal situations like family events.

speaklightly
01-16-2006, 09:16 AM
ardi-

Actually, thus far I am rather impressed with the E-900. I will be taking more shots today and will post the results. It surely would make an ideal family or traveler's camera.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
01-16-2006, 10:39 AM
As I promised last night, even though it is still very early (8:00am) and a rainy, wintery day, here is a sample wide angle photo with the E-900.

Speaklightly

ardi
01-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Great as a point and shoot, and for trips, which is just what I needed. Jeff's review was right on: the low level focus and noise in the LCD is annoying. But that is not what I bought the camera for. This will fit in my pocket and I will take it places that I wouldn't lug an SLR.

The attachment caption is, "Oh damn, he's got another camera and will be chasing me around the house for a week."

speaklightly
01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Ardi-

Here is a good example of what the 9mp resolution can do for you. This is a 100% crop of a E-900 macro photo. Even with the severe crop, the sharpness and resolution still shows up quite well.

Speaklightly

ardi
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
I've been experimenting with the "F" and "N" settings on the 9MP menu. It makes a factor of 2 difference in the size of the jpg image to store (2.x MB vs 4.x MB). The question is, "Does it make a difference?"

I snipped a tiny fragment out of two shots that were taken within a minute of each other. The scene is some buildings about five miles away. There was no tripod so I can't say for sure that motion was totally zero, but it was a bright scene.

The shorter of the two images is the "F, or fine" and the other one is "N or normal." I can tell there is a difference and I should probably repeat the experiment with better controlled conditions, but for my eye I can't say one is "better."

What do you think?

speaklightly
01-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Ardi-

Neither of the photo samples you posted, unfortunately loaded.

Speaklightly

ardi
01-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Maybe it didn't like two attachments.

In this one the "F" image is on the right. It was cut and pasted into the "N" image, then the pair was cropped out of the entire picture. You can see the border of the cut piece.

speaklightly
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Ardi-

I am sorry but your posted image is very blurry, and I cannot figure out what it is supposed to be.

Here is what a Natural Light Mode shot looks like, when taken with my Fuji E-900.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
01-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Ardi-

Here is a good comparison. The previous photo I posted was in the Naturalllight mode. This photo was taken today using the Chrome Mode on the E-900. It was taken handheld with flash. The ISO was set to 80.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
01-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi Ardi-

We had some unusual clouds this afternoon. I just wanted to share a photo from the Fuji E-900 with you.

Speaklightly

zero
01-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Those are nice pictures speaklightly. What is your opinion about it's High-ISO performance? I am quite sure its not close to F-10.

speaklightly
01-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Zero-

No, the Fuji E-900 will NEVER be equal to the Fuji F-10. But then, the F-10 does not have that 32mm wide angle either.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Zero-

To give you a better idea of what the Fuji F-10 digital camera really can do, please take a look at this no flash photo, taken at ISO 1600.

Speaklightly

adamsfamily
02-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Hi there speaklightly and ardi...

As you two seem to have this camera, can either of you give me any comparison to F11.
I'm looking for a p&s that gives me great outdoor pics (which judging by these pics the e900 does), good indoor shots, but the clincher for me is moving subjects in less than good lighting.
My son does Tae Kwon Do, and we can't use flash. The hall is fairly well lit, but when shooting at a distance of about 12 feet, I'm just getting blurred pictures. My ISO is limited to 400 so I was thinking either the E900 or F11 as they seems to be capable of taking moving shots better.

Any help/advice appreciated.

ardi
02-08-2006, 07:33 AM
My experience has been that the E900 is excellent at things like indoor birthday parties, flash or no flash. Fuji uses the natural light setting as a bragging point and it is pretty good. (I've been disappointed at the short flash ranges for these point and shoot cameras, and adding a decent flash attachment defeats the whole idea of an easy-to-use camera. So the natural light setting was a real selling point for me)

A mix of daylight and incandescent didn't bother it, and I would guess that your Tae Kwan Do lighting is at least as good as inside our house. At those light levels I have experienced no problems with the auto-focus. You will need to experiment with the minimum shutter speed/max ISO you can tolerate since you are asking a lot out of the camera--stopping motion in a dark setting.

A positive surprise was the good quality indoor movies. In a very demanding backlit, restaraunt scene, I was able to get quite acceptable movies which I emailed to my granddaughter the same afternoon. I didn't expect to ever use the movie mode, but quickly changed my mind. (So I also had to go get another memory card for movies. The xD cards are around $70 per 1GB, so add that into your planning. Other cards are cheaper, about $50 per 1GB).

Good luck. There are a lot of choices out there now.
ARDI

Sarah Joyce
02-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Ardi has given you some very good suggestions. I own both the F-10 and the E-900. For me at least, based on my own experience, is that the F-10 with 6.3mp of resolution is a far more capable camera than the E-900 at 9mp in low light level shooting.

Sarah Joyce

adamsfamily
02-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks for advice Ardi and Sarah,

Both very capable cameras, and having seen the shots of the e900 I was swaying toward it, but I just have a feeling the F11 is slightly better as you Sarah it's your prefered. The reviews on the F10, and the Magazine and www awards it has got can only lead me to believe the F11 to be a step up from the F10.

I'm poff to have a play with both models at the weekend, but unfortunately until you actually buy one and test it out, you don't know it's true potential. Good job Jessops give me 30 days exchange policy!!

Thanks again folks